This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Biofidelity of the Hybrid III Thorax in High-Velocity Frontal Impact
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Blunt frontal thoracic impact of a Hybrid III dummy and three unembalmed human cadavers were conducted at the University of California. San Diego using a 4.25 kg inertial impactor at a 13.4 m/s impact velocity. The dummy indicated a stiffer response than the cadaver subjects. The difference in average impact force was the same as the muscle tensing force added to the human cadaver responses in developing recommended dummy response guidelines. These results further demonstrate the human-like response of the Hybrid III thorax over a wide range of frontal impact velocities.
|Technical Paper||Comparison of Current Anthropomorphic Test Devices in a Three-Point Belt Restraint System|
|Technical Paper||Injury to Unembalmed Belted Cadavers in Simulated Collisions|
|Technical Paper||Hybrid III-A Biomechanically-Based Crash Test Dummy|
CitationHorsch, J. and Schneider, D., "Biofidelity of the Hybrid III Thorax in High-Velocity Frontal Impact," SAE Technical Paper 880718, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880718.
- Foster J. K. Kortge J. O. Wolanin M. J. “Hybrid III - A Biomechanically Based Crash Test Dummy,” SAE Paper 770938 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference October 1977
- Neathery R. F. “Analysis of Chest Impact Response Data and Scaled Performance Recommendations,” 18th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper 741188 December 1974
- Kroell C. K. Schneider D. C. Nahum A. M. “Impact Tolerance and Response of the Human Thorax II,” SAE Paper 741187 18th Stapp Car Crash Conference December 1974
- Kroell C. K. Schneider D. C. Nahum A. M. “Impact Tolerance and Response of the Human Thorax,” SAE Paper 710851 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1971
- Horsch J. D. Culver C. C. “A Study of Driver Interaction with an Inflating Air Cushion,” 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper 791029 October 1979
- Lau I. V. Viano D. C. “The Viscous Criterion-Bases and Application of an Injury Severity Index for Soft Tissues,” 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper 861882 October 1986
- Abbreviated Injury Scale 1985 Revision American Association for Automotive Medicine Arlington Heights, IL
- Neathery R. F. Kroell C. K. Mertz H. J. “Prediction of Thoracic Injury from Dummy Responses,” 19th Staff Car Crash Conference November 1975
- Viano D. C. Lau I. V. “Thoracic Impact: A Viscous Tolerance Criterion,” 10th Experimental Safety Vehicle Conference 1985
- Viano D. C. Lau I. V. “A Viscous Tolerance Criterion for Soft Tissue Injury Assessment,” Journal of Biomechanics
- Kroell C K. Allen S. D. et al. “The Interrelationship of Velocity and Chest Compression in Blunt Thoracic impact to Swine II,” 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference October 1986 SAE paper 86
- Horsch J. D. Viano D. C. “Influence of the Surrogate in Laboratory Evaluation of Energy-Absorbing Steering Systems,” 28th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper 841660 November 1984