This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Parametric Investigation of the Stiller-Smith Mechanism for Application in an Internal-Combustion Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The application of the Stiller-Smith Mechanism for use in an internal-combustion engine is investigated. The dimensionless stroke-to-bore and stroke-to-gear diameter ratios are used as a design vector. The effect of changes in the design vector upon parameters including mechanical efficiency, internal gear loads, bearing reaction forces, and connecting rod loads is investigated. A composite objective function is defined in which these parameters have variable weighting. An optimal design can be reached by using this function. Characteristics of the mechanism with and without the effect of inertial forces are investigated. Results are presented including three-dimensional sensitivity plots and an optimal design.
CitationMcKisic, A., Smith, J., Wang, W., and Prucz, J., "A Parametric Investigation of the Stiller-Smith Mechanism for Application in an Internal-Combustion Engine," SAE Technical Paper 880662, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880662.
- Smith, J. Craven R. Cutlip R. “The Stiller-Smith Mechanism: A Kinematic Analysis.” SAE 860535
- Smith, James E. The Dynamic Analysis of an Elliptic Trammel Mechanism for Possible Use to an Internal Combustion Engine With a Floating Crank West Virginia University 1984
- Smith, J.E. Churchill R. Craven R. “The History of the Stiller-Smith Mechanism.” ASME 87-ICE-44
- Hunter, W.J. “Internal Combustion Engine.” May 1916
- Bourke, R.L. “Internal Combustion Engine.” July 1938
- Reitz, S. “Bourke Type Engine.” March 1977
- Nesbit, S. A Two Dimensional Analytical Model For Balancing the Stiller-Smith Engine West Virginia University 1985
- McKisic, A.D. Smith J. Craven R. Prucz J. “Three-Dimensional Balancing of the Stiller-Smith Mechanism For Application to an Eight - Cylinder I.C. Engine.” SAE 871917
- Smith, J. Churchill R. Woodrow G. “Pressure-Time Characterization of an Internal Combustion Engine with Sinusoidal Piston Travel.” ASME 86-WA/Fact-6
- Clark, N. et al. “The Influence of Sinusoidal Piston Motion on the Thermal Efficiency of Engines.” SAE 871916
- Munino, V. Sivaneri N. Wang W. Gokhale M. Smith “Unique Kinematic Features of the Stiller-Smith Mechanism.” Proceedings: Oklahoma State University 10th. Applied Mechanism Conference New Orleans, LA December 6-9 1987
- Seireg, A. “A Survey of Optimization of Mechanical Design.” Journal of Engineering for Industry. May 1972 495 499
- Siddall, J.N. “Frontiers in Optimal Design” Journal of Mechanism Design 101 674 680
- Fox, R.L. Optimization Methods for Engineering Design Addison-Wesley Reading, Mass. 1971
- Siddall, J.N. Analytical Decision Making in Engineering Design. Prentice-Hall Englewood Cliffs, NJ 1972