This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ATB Simulation of Hybrid 111 Dummy in Sled Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study was conducted to validate the mechanical properties of the Hybrid III dummy measured by Armstrong Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory (AAMRL). The validation was performed by computing dummy response, using the Articulated Total Body (ATB)** computer program and comparing the computed response with those obtained from sled tests. Two simulations were performed in this study. The first one was used to calibrate the model; it served as a basis for comparing various response components. Necessary adjustments in the input parameters were made until good agreements were achieved between the computed and the test results. The final model thus obtained was then used to predict the response of the second sled test without changing any of the model parameters; this prediction was used to check the validity of the model. The results of the study indicate the need for reevaluations of the AAMRL measured stiffnesses of the neck, torso, and knee joints. The overall correlation appears to be adequate considering the uncertainty associated with the overall mechanical properties of the dummy.
|Technical Paper||Using ATB in Collision Reconstruction|
|Technical Paper||Simplified Models for Optimization of Curtain Air Bag for US NCAP|
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Dummy Behavior Under Different Temperature Influence|
CitationKhatua, T., Cheng, L., and Piziali, R., "ATB Simulation of Hybrid 111 Dummy in Sled Tests," SAE Technical Paper 880646, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880646.
- Fleck J.T. Butler F.E. 1982 Validation of the crash victim simulator, Vol I: Engineering Manual - Part I: Analytical Formulation Calspan Report No. ZS-5881-V-1
- Feck J.T. Butler F.E. Delays NJ. 1982 Validation of the crash victim simulator, Vol II: Engineering Manual - Part II: Validation Effort Calspan Report No. ZS-5881-V-2
- Feck J.T. Butler F.E. 1982 Validation of the crash victim simulator, Vol III: User's manual Calspan Report No. ZS-5881-V-3
- Fleck J.T. Butler F.E. 1982 Validation of the crash victim simulator, Vol IV: Programmer's Manual Calspan Report No. ZS-5881-V-4
- Foster J.K. Kortge J.O. Wolanin MJ. 1977 Hybrid III - A biomechanically-based crash test dummy SAE 77093S 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings New Orleans
- Kaleps I White R.T. Beecher R Whtestone J. Obergafell L. 1988 Measurement of Hybrid HI dummy properties and analytical simulation data base development Report No. AAMRI/m-88-005 Armstrong Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory Dayton, Ohio
- Prasad P. 1988 Sled testing of Hybrid III SAE Paper No. 880637 SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan
- Prasad P. 1984 An overview of major occupant simulation models. SAE 840855, Mathematical Simulation of Occupant and Vehicle Kinematics SAE/P 84/146 Washington D.C
- Prasad P. 1988 Personal communication