This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of Bearing Friction Loss Under Dynamic Load
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Friction loss of bearings under dynamic load is often measured by motoring on an actual engine. Motoring, however, is not capable of reproducing the bearing load during the firing.
The authors developed a dynamic load simulating machine, which applies variable load corresponding to one engine load cycle by means of a hydraulic pressure controlled with servo valves.
Friction loss and the shaft center locus were measured under the static load and the dynamic load simulating to the main bearing load of V-engine. The variation was studied while changing various dimensions of a bearing such as clearance, bearing length, revolution speed, shaft diameter, and presence of a circumferential groove.
By comparing the test results with theoretical values, good agreement in the basic tendency was obtained.
|Technical Paper||Characterisation of the Viscoelasticity of Engine Lubricants at Elevated Temperatures and Shear Rates|
|Technical Paper||ENGINE BEARING PROCESSING AND ITS EFFECTS|
|Technical Paper||Sleeve Bearing Lining Materials - 1947|
CitationOgita, Y., Niwa, K., and Tanaka, T., "Measurement of Bearing Friction Loss Under Dynamic Load," SAE Technical Paper 880547, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880547.
- Hoshi M. “Reducing Friction Losses in Automobile Engine” Tribology International Vol. 17 1984 4 185
- Nagao A. et al “Reduction of Friction Loss for MAGNUM engine” Mazda Tech. Rev. 1983 1 P36
- Koach J.T. et al “Engine Friction Reduction for Improved Fuel Economy” SAE Paper 820085
- Hisatomi T. et al “Nissan Motor Company 's New 2.0 Liter Four-Cylinder Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper 820113
- Vickery P.E. “Friction Losses Automotive Plain Bearing: A Practical and Theoretical Study” SAE Paper 750052
- Booker J.F. “Dynamically-Loaded Journal Bearing: Numerical Application of the Mobility Method” Transaction of the ASLE Jan. 1971 168
- Martin F.A. “Friction in Internal Combustion Engine Bearing” I Mech E 1985
- Tanaka T. et al “Investigation into Oil Film Pressure Distribution in Journal Bearings” I Mech E 1972