This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Mounting Errors on Cardan-Type Universal Joint Kinematics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Homogeneous coordinate-transformation matrices are used to analyze a Cardan-type universal joint whose input and output shafts do not intersect because of mounting tolerance errors. It is found that such mounting errors induce double-frequency axial motion at the output joint of magnitude comparable to that of the error. To avoid this sliding motion it is important that the offset between the input and output axes which results from mounting errors be held to as close a tolerance as is possible.
|Technical Paper||Simulation of Torque Characteristics in Drivelines with Universal Joints|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Latex Foam Rubbers|
|Technical Paper||Interpretation of Laboratory Tests on Universal Joints|
CitationFischer, I., "Effect of Mounting Errors on Cardan-Type Universal Joint Kinematics," SAE Technical Paper 880483, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880483.
- Willis R., Principles of Mechanism, Longmans, Green & Co., London, 1870, pp. 437-457.
- Dodge A.Y., “Bearing Loads Due to Universal Joint Action,” Automotive Industries Vol.83, Dec.14, 1940 pp. 636-639, 654.
- Evernden H.I.F., “The Propeller Shaft or Hooke's Coupling and the Cardan Joint,” Proc.Inst.Mech.Eners., Part III, 1948-1949, pp. 100-110.
- Carter B.C., “Analytical Treatment of Linked Levers and Allied Mechanism,” J. Royal Aeronautical Soc., Vol.54, Oct.1950, pp. 247-252.
- Habel H. “Krafte an Kreuzgelenkwellen,” Maschinenbautechnik, Vol.7, May 1958, pp. 289-296.
- Duditza F.. Kardanpelenkgetriebe und ihre Anwendungen, VDI Verlag, Düsseldorf, Germany, 1973, 168 pp.
- Yang A.T., “Static and Torque Analysis of Spherical Four-Bar Mechanisms,” ASME Journal of Engineering for Industry, Vol.87, 1965, pp. 221-227.
- Porat I., “Moment Transmission of a Universal Joint,” J. Mechanisms and Theory, Vol. 15, No. 4, 1980, pp. 245-254.
- Burkhalter R.R. and Mazziotti P.J., “The Low Silhouette Drive Line,” SAE paper 691, January 9, 1956.
- Cooney C.E. Jr.,, “Practical Procedures for Designing and Analyzing a Tandem Truck Driveline,” SAE paper 660413 (1966).
- Potgieter F.M., “Cardan Universal Joints Applied to Steel Mill Drives,” Iron and Steel Engineer, Vol.46, March 1969, pp. 73-79.
- Kayser J.A., “Cardan-Type Universal Joints,” 1975-76 Power Transmission and Bearing Handbook, pp. A/231-A/234.
- Joyner R.G., “The Truck Driveline as a Source of Vibration,” SAE paper 760843 (1976).
- Wagner E.R. and Cooney C.E., Universal Joint and Driveshaft Design Manual, Advances in Engineering, Series No.7, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA, 1979, 440 pp.
- Yang A.T. and Freudenstein F., “Application of Dual-Number Quaternion Algebra to the Analysis of Spatial Mechanisms,” ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics (Vol. 86), June 1964, pp. 300-308.
- Fischer I.S. and Freudenstein F., “Internal Force and Moment Transmission in a Cardan Joint With Manufacturing Tolerances,” ASME Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions and Automation in Design, September 1984 (Vol. 106), pp. 301-311.
- Wagner E.R., “Discussion,” ASME Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions and Automation in Design, March 1985 (Vol. 107), pp. 141-142.
- Craig J.J., Introduction to Robotics, Mechanics and Control, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading, MA, 1986, 303 pp.