This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Synthesis and Analysis of Variable-Valve-Timing Mechanisms for Internal-Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In recent times, the emphasis on increased vehicle fuel economy has spurred considerable interest in the development of variable-valve-timing (VVT) mechanisms for internal-combustion engines. This investigation focuses on the determination of the kinematic structure and the creative design of VVT mechanisms.
Following a review of some representative existing VVT mechanisms, several potentially useful, proposed VVT configurations are described; one of these is proportioned and analyzed in some detail.
|Technical Paper||An Electronically Controlled Cam Phasing System|
|Journal Article||Fracture Modeling Inputs for a Human Body Model via Inference from a Risk Curve: Application for Skull Fracture Potential|
CitationFreudenstein, F., Maki, E., and Tsai, L., "The Synthesis and Analysis of Variable-Valve-Timing Mechanisms for Internal-Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 880387, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880387.
Data Sets - Support Documents
- Siewert, R. M. “How Individual Valve Timing Events Affect Exhaust Emissions,” SAE Transactions 80 1971 Paper No. 710609 2156 2174
- Tuttle, J. H. “Controlling Engine Load by Means of Late Intake-Valve Closing” SAE Transactions 89 1980 Paper No. 800794 2429 2441
- Tuttle, J. H. “Controlling Engine Load by Means of Early Intake-Valve Closing” SAE Transactions 91 1982 Paper No. 820408 1648 1662
- Schiele, C. A. DeNagel, S. F. Bennethum, J. E. “Design and Development of a Variable-Valve Timing (VVT) Camshaft,” SAE Paper No. 740102 1974
- “Variable Camshaft Boosts Engine Efficiency,” Automotive Engineering 81 12 11 13
- Torazza, G. “A Variable Lift and Event Control Device for Piston Engine Valve Operation,” XIVth International Automobile Technical Congress of FISITA London June 25-30 1972
- Herrin, R. J. Pozniac, D. J. “A Lost Motion, Variable-Valve-Timing System for Automotive Piston Engines,” SAE Paper No. 840335 1984
- Norbye, J. P. “Variable Valve Timing and Rotary Valves,” Road and Track April 1977 121 125
- Freudenstein, F. Tsai, L-W. Maki, E. R. “The Generalized Oldham Coupling,” Trans. ASME Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions, and Automation in Design 106 4 December 1984 475 481
- Mitome, K. Ishida, K. “Generalized Oldham Coupling of Turning-Block Double Circular-Arc-Slider Mechanism,” Bull. JSME 15 82 April 1972 520 527
- Tsai, L-W. “Design of Drag-Link Mechanisms with Optimum Transmission Angle,” Trans. ASME Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions, and Automation in Design 105 2 June 1983 254 258
- Tsai, L-W. “Design of Drag-Link Mechanisms with Minimax Transmission Angle Deviation,” Trans. ASME Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions and Automation in Design 105 4 Dec. 1983 686 691
- Stoddart, D. A. “Polydyne Cam Design,” Machine Design 25 1 1953 121 135