This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Approach to Spot Weld Feedback Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Improvements in resistance spot weld (RSW) quality in sheet metal are desired for manufacturing consistency and cost reduction in the automotive business. This paper reports on a new feedback control concept for RSW that employs a unique process stabization technique. The process is stabilized such that mechanical instabilities and contact resistance variations are minimized. After process stability has been achieved, the weld is driven to expulsion and terminated. Under specified process and control conditions, termination of the weld coincides with formation of a high quality spot weld.
CitationNagel, G. and Lee, A., "A New Approach to Spot Weld Feedback Control," SAE Technical Paper 880371, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880371.
- Watney Dale and Nagel Gregory L., “Forms of Dynamic Resistance Curves Generated during Resistance Spot Welding”, Sheet Metal Welding Conference, Dearborn, MI, 1984.
- Savage, W.F. Nippes, E.F. and Wassell, F.A. “Dynamic Contact Resistance of Series Spot Welding,” Welding J., Feb., 1978, p. 43s.
- Dickinson, D.W. Franklin, J.E. and Stanya, A. “Characterization of Spot Welding Behavior by Dynamic Electrical Parameter Monitoring,”
- Havens, J. R. “Controlling Spot Welding Quality and Expulsion” SME Paper AD76-279, 1976.
- Burbank G.E. and Taylor, W.D. “Ultrasonic In-Process Inspection of Spot Welds”, Welding Journal, May, 1965, p. 193s; Matting A. and Wilkens, G. “Testing of Spot Welds”, Ultrasonics, Oct., 1965, p. 161.
- Johnson, K.I. “Resistance Welding Quality-Control Techniques”, Metal Construction and British Welding Journal, May, 1973, p. 176.
- Stiebel, A. Ulmer, C Kodrack, D. and Holmes, B.B. “Monitoring and Control of Spot Weld Operations”, SAE Paper 860579, 1986.
- Lee, A. Nagel, G. “Basic Phenomena in Resistance Spot Welding”, Companion SAE Paper, 1988