This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion System Development of a Two-Stroke, Spark-Assisted DI Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A loop-scavenged, two-stroke, spark-assisted DI diesel engine was developed by modifying an outboard marine gasoline engine to operate on diesel fuel with high fuel efficiency similar to a diesel engine, yet retain the two-stroke engine advantages of low cost, light weight, and high power-to-weight ratio.
Engine modification was concentrated in the area of the combustion system, including transfer port design to generate air swirl in the cylinder, and combustion chamber design to generate air squish and turbulence. Bore and stroke (84 × 72 mm) remained the same as those of the base engine. The experimental engine used the production engine's piston, crankshaft, connecting rod, bearings, and cylinder block.
The transfer port design was optimized using a flow test bench for best swirl and air flow pattern with a simple flow visualization technique. The best combustion chamber geometry, compression ratio, and fuel injection spray pattern were determined through engine experiments.
CitationAriga, S. and Matsushita, Y., "Combustion System Development of a Two-Stroke, Spark-Assisted DI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 880169, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880169.
- Phatak, R. and Ariga, S. “Development of a Spark-Assisted Two-Stroke Diesel Engine, SwRI Final Report No. 7864, 31 July 1984.
- Phatak, R. and Komiyama, K. “Investigation of a Spark-Assisted Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 830588.
- Phatak, R., “A New Method of Analyzing Two-Stroke Cycle Engine Gas Flow Patterns,” SAE Transaction, Volume 88, Paper 790487.
- Hess, T. and Salzberger, D. “The Stanadyne DB2 Distributor Pump for Medium Duty Diesels,” SAE Paper 790899.
- Service Bulletin No. 191 RI, published by Stanadyne/ Hartford Division, February 1964.
- Ariga, S., “Performance Development of a Spark-Assisted Two-Stroke Diesel Engine,” SwRI Final Report 8567, November 1985.