This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Piston Bowl Rim Cracks-A More Detailed Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Today's trends to higly rated engines as well as reentrant bowls with sharp corners to meet emission requirements have made the combustion bowl rims of DI Diesel engine pistons proner to crack.
The usual method of analysing this problem through Goodman's Diagram, does not consider: (i) peak stresses due to thermal transients; (ii) the sequence of events which alters mean stresses in each applied cycle and (iii) the material properties under cyclic loading.
In order to overcome these points, a more detailed analysis using the strain life method has been performed. Results were then compared to engine tests.
|Technical Paper||Numerical Study of the Combustion Chamber Shape for Common Rail H.S.D.I. Diesel Engines|
|Technical Paper||CFD parametric analysis of the combustion chamber shape in a small HSDI Diesel engine|
CitationKlein, T. and da Silva, P., "Piston Bowl Rim Cracks-A More Detailed Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 880099, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880099.
- SAE TECHNICAL REPORT ON FATIGUE PROPERTIES - Report 31099 3.62
- VENCOVSKY, P.K. da SILVA, P.S. P. - Um Programa Para Micro-Computador em Linguagem BASIC para Aplicação do “Rain-Flow” Relatório Escola Politécnica USP Fev. 1987
- DOWLING, N.E. Fatigue Life Prediction of Complex Load Versus Time Histories Trans ASME 105 July 1983 206
- MANSON, S.S. Thermal Stress an Low Cycle Fatigue McGraw - Hill New York 1966
- SHUICHIRO, W. TOSHIO, I. HOBUHIRO, I. Thermal Fatigue Resistance of Al-Si Casting Alloys for Pistons Light Metals 22 6 395 042 1972 Japan
- WIGANT, C.C. STEPHENS, R.I. Low Cycle Fatigue of A356-T6 Cast Aluminum Alloy SAE Technical Paper No. 870096 Int. Cong, and Exposition Detroit, Michigan Feb. 23-27 1987
- CONWAY, J.B. Creep Fatigue Interaction ASM Metals Handbook 8 9th