This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Recommendation for Ergonomic and Climatic Physiological Vehicle Seat Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1988 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Ergonomic requirements are of the utmost importance in the design and construction of seats especially vehicle seats, in order to reduce the well-known disadvantages of a constrained sitting posture.
The difference between vertical back profiles of 95 percentile men and 5 percentile women requires backrests, which are adjustable to the length of the dirver's torso. This length adjustment involves the entire backrest and the support pads in the area of neck and lumbar lordosis of driver's spinal column to avoid intervertebral disk damage.
A new seat-prototyp, which is upholstered with polyurethane foam, allows the complete adjustment of the backrest contour to the back profiles of people of different height.
Registration of force and pressure distribution and microclimatic measurements are necessary in order to select improved upholstery materials. Recomendations are reported.
CitationDiebschlag, W., Heidinger, F., Kurz, B., and Heiberger, R., "Recommendation for Ergonomic and Climatic Physiological Vehicle Seat Design," SAE Technical Paper 880055, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880055.
- BRUNNER, W. KURZ, B. DIEBSCHLAG, W. Capacitive Measuring System for Pressure Distribution for High Density between Measuring Points Biomed. Techn. 28 221 224 1983
- DIEBSCHLAG, W. MUELLER-LIMMROTH, W. BALDAUF, H. STUMBAUM, F. Physiologic Studies Regarding Seat Design Ergonomics 32 4NF 89 95 1978
- DIEBSCHLAG, W. STUMBAUM, F. Physiological Requirements on Car Seats Physician + Car 57 1 24 32 1981
- DIEBSCHLAG, W. MUELLER-LIMMROTH, W. Physiological Requirements on Car Seats: Results of Experimental Studies 223 231 OBORNE, D.J. LEVIS, J.A. HUMAN Facors in Transport Research II London Academic Press 1981
- DIN German Institute for Standardization, reg. Association Design of Driver Seats Berlin - Koeln Beuth 1982
- LANGE, W. KROEMER, K.H.E. Small Ergonomic Data Collection Federal Institution for Safety in the Workplace and Accident Research Dortmund 1976
- SCHOBERTH, H. Seat Design - Seat Damage - Seat Berlin - Goettingen Heidelberg Springer 1962
- STUMBAUM, F. DIEBSCHLAG, W. Measuring System to Determine Pressure Distribution between Person and Seat Biomed. Techn. 25 223 227 1980