This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Volatility and Oil Consumption of SAE 5W-30 Engine Oil
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Experience has shown oil economy, or conversely, oil consumption, to be a significant factor in the consumer's perception of engine oil quality. Recent changes in the primary viscosity grade recommendations by the major automotive manufacturers have made the consumer even more sensitive to real, and/or perceived, changes in engine oil performance.
This paper examines the effect of volatility characteristics on engine oil consumption, in both laboratory test engines and vehicle fleet testing. Special attention is given to the SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade in comparison to the widely marketed SAE 10W-40 grade product.
|Technical Paper||Effects of Engine Oil Composition on Oil Consumption|
|Technical Paper||Effect of Unleaded Fuel and Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Sludge and Varnish Formation|
|Technical Paper||Field Testing - The Final Proof Of Performance|
CitationDidot, F., Green, E., and Johnson, R., "Volatility and Oil Consumption of SAE 5W-30 Engine Oil," SAE Technical Paper 872126, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/872126.
- Boston E. D. Ballard H. D. Jr., “A View of Lubricant Demand and Quality Into The '90's,” (NPRA AM-86-19)
- Crouse W. W. Koelsch B. N. Preston W. D. (Sun Oil Co.) - “Measurement of Oil Economy in Passenger Car Engines,” SAE 680414
- ASTM Designation D2887-84 Standard Test Method for “Boiling Range Distribution of Petroleum Fractions by Gas Chromatography,” 1984
- Orrin D. S. Coles B. W. (Chevron Research Co.) - “Effects of Engine Oil Composition on Oil Consumption,” SAE 710141 1971
- Coon J. S. Loeffler D. E. (Shell Oil Co.) - “Routes of Crankcase Oil Loss,” SAE Transactions 67 59 70 1959
- Schwartz S. E. Smolenski D. J. (General Motors Research Laboratories) - “Development of an Automatic Engine Oil - Change Indication System,” SAE 870403 1987
- Dixon N. J. Massey F. J. Jr., “Introduction to Statistical Analysis,” New York McGraw-Hill 1957 275 278