This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Port Fuel Injectors-Causes/Consequences/Cures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
From designed experiments in vehicles, port fuel injector deposits have shown large negative effects on performance, fuel economy and emissions. The non-uniform plugging of injectors within an engine is a controlling factor. Wide variation in injector deposit forming tendencies among cars appears to depend on engine design considerations in relation to ambient temperature. Fuel additives, while providing an easy, effective solution, can also contribute to other induction system deposit problems if not carefully chosen with respect to chemical type.
CitationTupa, R., "Port Fuel Injectors-Causes/Consequences/Cures," SAE Technical Paper 872113, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/872113.
- Glockler O. Knapp H. “Present Status and Future Development of Gasoline Fuel Injection for Passenger Cars,” SAE Paper No. 800467 1980
- Bosch GmbH Robert “L-Jetronic Technical Instruction No. 2160,” 1985
- Gruber H. Weidenmann H. “Three Years Field Experience with the Lambda-Sensor in Automotive Control Systems,” SAE Paper No. 800017 1979
- Kehrl H. H. GM Vice Chairman letter to Chief Officers of 22 petroleum companies November 18 1985
- Monger H. “Autronic Fuel Injection,” SAE Paper No. 820903 1982
- Russo F. Panwels M. “EFI For The 80's -A Base Model Fuel Control System,” SAE Paper No. 830422 1982
- Florence D. Michel M. “Chrysler's Versatile 2.2 Liter Fuel Injection Controller,” SAE Paper No. 841249 1983
- Sullivan J. “European Application of Ford Central Fuel Injection Engine Control System,” SAE Paper No. 840546 1983
- DeGrace L. G. Bata G. T. “The Bendix DEKA Fuel Injector Series - Design and Performance,” SAE Paper No. 850559 1984
- Tupa R. C. “Today's Gasoline Concerns -Injector Plugging and Valve Seat Wear,” NPRA Paper No. AM-68-21 March 1986
- France W. D. Jr., “Automobile Gasoline -Quality Fuel or Commodity?” NPRA Paper No. AM-86-31 March 1986
- Benson J. D. Yaccarino P. A. “The Effect of Fuel Composition and Additives on Multiport Fuel Injector Deposits,” SAE Paper No. 861533 1986
- Taniguchi B. Y. Peyla R. J. Parsons G. M. Hoekmann S. K. Voss D. A. “Injector Deposits - The Tip of Intake System Deposit Problems,” SAE Paper No. 861534 1986
- Abramo G. P. Horowitz A. M. Trewella J. C. “Port Fuel Injector Cleanliness Studies,” SAE Paper No. 861535 1986
- Tupa R. C. Koehler D. E. “Gasoline Port Fuel Injectors - Keep Clean/Clean Up with Additives,” SAE Paper No. 861536 1986
- Lenane D. L. Stocky T. P. “Gasoline Additives Solve Injector Deposit Problems,” SAE Paper No. 861537 1986