This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Causes of Compaction: Relationships Among Machine Load, Induced Pressure, and Degree of Soil Saturation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A background review of soil compaction processes is presented and theoretical relationships among loads, pressures and soil moisture are discussed. Research directions and needs for the future are outlined.
THE EFFECT OF SOIL COMPACTION, especially below normal tillage depths, is a major agricultural concern today. In general, heavy axle loads on moist soil is the primary cause of excessive compaction, But important questions remain: How heavy? How wet? Do low pressure high flotation tires help?
|Technical Paper||Soil Compaction of Four-Wheel Drive and Tracked Tractors Under Various Draft Loads|
|Technical Paper||Performance of Dual and Tandem Traction Tires — A Model Study|
CitationReeder, R. and Carpenter, T., "Causes of Compaction: Relationships Among Machine Load, Induced Pressure, and Degree of Soil Saturation," SAE Technical Paper 872013, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/872013.
- Hall, George F. 1985 Natural Compaction in Soils. Soil compaction conference abstracts and previews Reeder Randall C. The Ohio State University Columbus, Ohio April 3 & 4 1985
- Raghavan, Vijaya G.S. 1985 Methods of Alleviating Soil Compaction Soil compaction conference abstracts and previews Reeder Randall C. The Ohio State University Columbus, Ohio April 3 & 4 1985
- Taylor, James H. 1985 Wheels and Tracks-Compaction and Traction Efficiency Soil compaction conference abstracts and previews Reeder Randall C. The Ohio State University Columbus, Ohio April 3 & 4 1985
- Carpenter, T.G. Fausey N.R. Reeder R.C. 1985 Theoretical Effect of Wheel Loads on Subsoil Stresses Soil and Tillage Research 6 179 192
- Porterfield, J.W. Carpenter T.G. 1986 Soil Compaction: An Index of Potential Compaction for Agricultural Tires Transactions of the ASAE 29 917 922
- Gupta, S.C. Hadas A. Voorhees W.B. Wolf W. Larson W.E, Schneider E.C. 1985 Development of Guides for Estimating the Ease of Compaction of World Soils Research report submitted to Binational Agricultural Research Development (BARD) Fund Bet Dagan Israel
- Gupta, S.C. Larson W.E. 1982 Modeling Soil Mechanical Behavior During Tillage Predicting Tillage Effects on Soil Physical Properties and Processes ASA, SSSA 677 South Segoe Road, Madison, WI 53711 151 178