This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fly-by-Wire Sidestick Controller Evaluation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A simulation study was conducted to investigate operational issues associated with advanced flight deck configurations of transport aircraft employing sidestick controllers and fly-by-wire control modes. The advanced concepts flight simulator in the Man-Vehicle Systems Research Facility at NASA Ames Research Center was used for this evaluation. Sixty-two pilots from Douglas Aircraft, NASA, and commercial airlines participated in the study. The primary objective was to evaluate the requirement for coupling the pilot's and copilot's sidestick controllers. Other issues addressed were the sidestick controller characteristics, the control mode handling qualities, and the requirement for coupling the autopilot to the sidestick. Three tests were conducted: (1) a handling qualities evaluation of the sidestick characteristics and the control modes, (2) an evaluation of alternative configurations for sidestick coupling, and (3) an evaluation of alternative configurations for autopilot coupling. This paper describes the experimental approach, the facility, the control mode configurations, and the alternative sidestick configurations. Handling quality ratings and performance measures were used to evaluate the results of the study. Recommendations are made for the design of advanced flight deck configurations.
CitationSummers, L., Shannon, J., White, T., and Shiner, R., "Fly-by-Wire Sidestick Controller Evaluation," SAE Technical Paper 871761, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/871761.
- Black, G. Thomas and Moorhouse, David J., Flying Qualities Design Requirements for Sidestick Controller, AFFDL-TR-79-3126, 1979.
- North American Aviation, Inc., Estimated Flying Qualities of the X-15 Research Airplane, Volume I. Static Stability and Control, Report NA-59-1379. August 1959.
- Hall, G. Warren and Smith, Rogers E., Flight Investigation of Fighter Sidestick Force-Defection Characteristics, AFFDL-TR-75-39, 1975.
- Hoh, Roger H.; Mitchell, David G.; Ashkenas, Irving L.; Klein, Richard H.; Heffley, Robert K; and Hodgkinson, John, Proposed MIL Standard and Handbook - Flying Qualities of Air Vehicles, Volume II, AFWAL-TR-82-3081, 1982.
- Kroemer, K. H. Eberhard, Human Force Capabilities for Operating Aircraft Controls at 1, 3, and 5 G, AMRL-TR-73-54, 1975.
- Corp, S. G., A320 Flight Controls, Airbus Industrie, Toulouse, 1985.