This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Turbulence Length Scale Measurements in a Motored Internal Combustion Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A novel technique, using a ‘flying’ Hot Wire Anemometer is described; it is shown how the turbulent structure in a motored engine, using a high molecular weight gas as the working fluid, may be investigated with relative simplicity and very little engine modification. Initial results are presented for integral and micro length scales, which are within the range expected based on previous work.
CitationCollings, N., Roughton, A., and Ma, T., "Turbulence Length Scale Measurements in a Motored Internal Combustion Engine," SAE Technical Paper 871692, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/871692.
- Groff E.G. and Matekunas F.A., The nature of turbulent flame propagation in a homogeneous Spark Ignited Engine, SAE Paper 800133.
- Lancaster D.R., Effects of engine variables on Turbulence in a Spark Ignition Engine, SAE Paper 760159.
- Lancaster D.R., Kriger R.B., Sorenson S.C. and Hull W.L., Effects of Turbulence on Spark Ignition Engine Combustion, SAE Paper 760160.
- Witze P.O., Martin J.K. and Borgnakke C., Fluid Motion During Flume Propagation in a Spark Ignition Engine, SAE Paper 840377.
- Witze P.O. and Mendes-Lopes J.M.C., Direct Measurement of the Turbulent Burning Velocity in a Homogeneous Charge Engine, SAE Paper 861531.
- Witze P.O. and Martin J.K., Cyclic Variation Bias in Spark Ignition Engine Turbulence Measurements, Presented at the Second International Symposium on Applications of LDA to Fluid Dynamics, Lisbon July 1984.
- Glover A.R., Towards Bias Free Estimates of Turbulence in Engines, Presented at the Third International Symposium on Applications of LDA to Fluid Dynamics, Lisbon July 1986.
- Hinze J.O., Turbulence, McGraw-Hill book company 1975.
- Fraser R.A., Felton P.Y., Bracco F.V. and Santavica D.A., Preliminary Turbulence Length Scale Measurements in a Motored Internal Combustion Engine, SAE Paper 860021.
- Perry A.E., Hot Wire Anemometry, Clarendon Press, 1982.
- Chapman D.R., Some Possibilities of Using Gas Mixtures Other Than air in Aerodynamic Research, NACA TN 3226 August 1954.
- Ma T., Collings N. and Davies M., Low Speed Dynamic Similarity Modelling in Internal Combustion Engines, SAE Paper 860239.
- Witze P.O. A Critical Comparison of Hot Wire Anemometry and Laser Doppler Velocimetry for I.C. Engine Applications, SAE Paper 800132.
- Semenov E.S. Studies of Turbulent Gas Flow in Piston Engines, NACA TTF-97 (1963).
- Dent J.C. and Salama N.S., The Measurement of the Turbulence Characteristics in an Internal Combustion Engine Cylinder, SAE Paper 750886.
- Liou T-M. and Santavicca D.A. Cycle Resolved Turbulence Measurements in a Ported Engine, with and without Swirl, SAE Paper 830419.