This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Techniques for Reducing Fluid Borne Noise from Gear Pumps and Their Circuits
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Much research has been carried out investigating the generation of noise from hydraulic circuits. This paper attempts to give an appreciation of the main factors influencing this noise generation in a way that is useful to circuit and component designers.
The main body of this paper summarises 11 different techniques for reducing fluid borne noise from gear pumps and discusses the benefits and pitfalls of each method. Test results are given for two different methods that show substantial reductions in fluid borne noise while still maintaining comparable size and performance.
|Technical Paper||New Design Improvements in Gear Pumps and Motors|
|Technical Paper||New Methods of Reducing Noise in External Gear Pumps|
CitationMolton, G., "Techniques for Reducing Fluid Borne Noise from Gear Pumps and Their Circuits," SAE Technical Paper 871683, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/871683.
- EDGE, K.A. The theoretical prediction of the impedance of positive displacement pumps Institution of Mechanical Engineers London
- BOWNS, D.E. McCANDLISH, E. Pressure ripple propogation Institution of Mechanical Engineers London
- JOHNSTON, D.N. The assessment of the fluid borne noise characteristics of oil hydraulic components The University of Bath 1985
- EDGE, K.A. JOHNSTON D.N. A new method for evaluating the fluid borne noise characteristics of positive displacement pumps 7th International Fluid Power Symposium BHRA 1986
- BRITISH STANDARDS INSTITUTION Methods for determining pressure ripple levels generated in hydraulic fluid power systems and components 1983
- HEADRICK D.C. KING, R.K. A ripple- free gear pump using controlled leakage SAE Technical Paper Series 801006
- HOBBS, J FRICKE, H.J. New methods of reducing noise in external gear pumps SAE Technical Paper Series 801005
- BONACINI, C. On flow in gear pumps From ‘The Engineer’: Official Journal of the Italian National Association of Engineers and Architects 9 1961
- BOWNS, D.E. EDGE, K.A. TILLEY, D.G. Silencing fluid pumps and motors UK Patent Application 2036873 A
- EDGE, K.A. DEFREITAS, F.J.T. A study of pressure fluctuations in the suction lines of positive displacement pumps The Institution of Mechanical Engineers London
- YUDIN, E.M. Gear pump principal parameters and their calculation National Lending Library for Science and Technology
- DOWTY GROUP SERVICES Pumps and motors U.K. Patent Application 2102074 HENDERSON A.R. Silencing Fluid Borne Noise National Engineering Laboratory