This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Analysis of Lubricating System of Automobile Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Influences of oil-flow and oil temperature on frictional torques of whole engine and main lubricating components were determined by motoring method. Oil-flow rate, temperature and pressure in main lubricating pathes were directly measured under the same conditions. Oil-flow rate and frictional coefficient of crankshaft system were estimated by theoretically analysing Reynolds’ equation. Experimental data were discussed based on oil-flow analyses in lubricating system. Engine frictional torque becomes smallest when the engine is supplied with an optimum oil-flow rate, 2.5 - 3.5 1/min where the ratio of oil-flow rate is 10 - 20 % in crankshaft system, 30 - 40 % in a piston-connecting rod system, and 50 - 60 % in valve system. The optimum oil-flow rate which minimises the frictional torque is 1 - 2 1/min for crankshaft and piston-connecting rod systems, and 3-4. 1/min for a valve system.
|Technical Paper||AVIATION ENGINE DEVELOPMENT|
|Journal Article||Crankshaft and Bearing Analysis Process for a Light Duty Automotive Engine|
CitationTran, P., Yamamoto, T., Baba, Y., and Hoshi, M., "An Analysis of Lubricating System of Automobile Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 871659, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/871659.
- BOOKER, J.P. “Dynamically Loaded Journal Bearings: Mobility Method of Solution” Trans, of the ASME 87 1965 537 546
- MARTIN, F.A. LEE, C. S. “Feed-Pressure Plow in Plain Journal Bearings” ASLE Trans. 26 1983 381 392
- EL KAYAR, A. SALEM, E.A. KHAUL, M.F. HEGAZY, A.A. “Two-Dimensional Finite Difference Solution for Externally Pressurized Journal Bearings of Finite Length” Wear 84 1983 1 13
- SOMEYA, T. “Performance of Journal Bearings Subjected to Dynamic Loading” Journal of Japan Society of Lubrication Engineers 12 6 1967 221 234
- FURUKAMA, S. “Internal Combustion Engine” angyout [ILLEGIBLE]ho 1985 191 267
- HIRAMO SHOUDAI, N. “Oil-flow Coefficient of Pressure-fed Journal Bearings” Bulletin of JSME 1 5 1958
- CAMERON, A. “The Principles of Lubrication” Longmans 1966