This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of a Double-Grooved Spring Steel 55SiMnVB in the Aeolus Truck EQ-140
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 08, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
AIL trucks produced in the Second Automobile Works(SAW), with annual capacity of 100,000 trucks, have adopted leaf springs with double-grooves incorporated on the compression side. A Silicon-Manganese-Vanadium-Boron grade steel (55SiMnVB) was developed with very low tendency of decarburization in heating and very good hardenability on quenching. With rational cross-sectional configuration, a reduction in weight of 10.5% of spring assembly is realized.
SAW adopts unique induction heating of spring leaves. The exceedingly short time of heating further excludes the possibility of decarburization. Another unique technology is individual cooling of spring leaves. After tempering, spring leaves undergo pre-stressing shot-peening. The final process is electrostatic coating with infrared drying.
China possesses the highest mountain ranges in the world with some very severe road conditions, the successful operation of over 500,000 AEOLUS trucks has well proved the success of this spring material and its processing technology.
CitationMing-Liang, T., Bang-Jun, S., Yao-Feng, C., and Chuan-Pu, B., "Application of a Double-Grooved Spring Steel 55SiMnVB in the Aeolus Truck EQ-140," SAE Technical Paper 871253, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/871253.
- THE SECOND AUTOMOBILE WORKS AND SHANGHAI AUTOMOBILE LEAF SPRING WORKS SUMMARY OF TESTINGS OF SPRING STEEL 55SiMnVB “SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OF THE SECOND AUTOMOBILE WORKS” 1 1974
- YAO-MING CHEN YI-MING BU DESIGN AND COMPUTATION OF AUTO LEAF SPRINGS “SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OF SHI YAN-SAW” 2 1977
- BANG-JUN SHEN VIEW AND ACHIEVEMENTS ON TECHNICAL PROGRESS OF THE LEAF SPRING PLANT AND ITS FUTURE “SAW TECHNOLOGY PROGRESS” 2 1984
- INFLUENCE OF SHOT-PEENING FOR FATIGUE STRENGTH OF DECARBURIZED LEAF SPRINGS AND EFFECT OF RESIDUAL STRESS XI AN TRAFFIC UNIVERSITY, EDUCATION & RESEARCH DEPARTMENT “SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY REPORT” 1981
- JIA-ZHI XU HUI-HE WANG GUO-XIAN CHEN BANG-JUN SHEN YI-MING BU INFLUENCE OF SHOT-PEENING AND TEMPERING FOR LEAF SPRING'S FATIGUE LIFE “SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OF SHI YAN-SAW” 3 1978
- CHAO-XIA LI YI-MING BU A STUDY OF NEW STEEL GRADE OF LEAF SPRING AND ITS FATIGUE PROPERTY “SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OF SHI YAN-SAW” 3 1980