This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computer Program for the Optimal Design of Crankshaft
Published November 08, 1987 by SAE Australasia in Australia
Annotation ability available
The optimization of crankshaft should be weight reduction with the satisfation of constraints. Constraints of crankshaft design are safety from stress, torsional vibration and safety from lubrication. This study considers the torsional vibration as critical condition, because the design of vibration damper is not conceptural design but detail design. In order to reduce the calculation time of stress analysis, F.E.M model uses rough mesh with the compensation for the stress concentration. F.E.M model is applied to the remodelling technique which builds F.E.M model from modification of base model. The optimization algorithm in this study employs a hybrid feasible direction method and a hybrid unidirectional method. They may converge rapidly to the optimum in a large-scale structure optimization like crankshaft analysis. The application model is adopted to crankshaft of D2366 turbo engine among D.H.I STORM series.
CitationChang, N. and Chung, S., "Computer Program for the Optimal Design of Crankshaft," SAE Technical Paper 871224, 1987.
- Zhang Wu Siddall J. N. “a Software System for Structural Optimization Using the Finite Element Method” ASME 108 345 350 SEP. 1986
- Na Moon-soo Kikuchi N. Taylor J. E. “Optimal Shape Remodelling of Linearly Elastic Plates using Finite Element Method” Int.J.numer.methods eng 20 1823 1840 1984
- Braibant V. Fleury C. “an Approximation-Concepts Approach to Shape Optimal Design” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 53 119 148 1985
- Singh N. “Optimum Design of a Journal Bearing System with Mlti-Objectives: a Goal Programming Approach” Engineering Optimization 6 193 196 1983
- Schnack E. Sporl U. “a Mechanical Dynamic Programming Algorithm for Structure Optimization” Int.J.numer.methods eng 23 1985 2004 1986
- Pisano A. P. Chen H. T. “Coulomb Friction and Optimal Rocker Arm Ratio for High-Speed Cam Systems” ASME 108 340 344 SEP. 1986
- Karidis J. P. Turns S. R. “Efficient Optimization of Computationally Expensive Objective Functions” ASME 108 336 339 SEP. 1986
- Rao M. U. C. Chandra K. S. “a New Unidirectional Search Method for Optimization” Engineering Optimization 6 39 50 1982
- Hirai I. Wang B. P. Pilkey W. D. Efficient Zooming Method for Finite Element Analysis” Int.J.numer.methods eng 20 1671 1683 1984
- Pasad B. “Approximation, Adaption and Automation Concepts for Large-Scale Structure Optimization” Engineering Optimization 6 129 140 1983
- Belegundu A. D. Arora J. S. “a Study of Mathematical Programming Methods for Structural Optimization, part I: Theory” Int.J.numer.methods eng 21 1583 1599 1985
- Santi L. M. Townsend M. A. Johnson G. E. “a Noniterative Penalty Function Technique for Constrainted Optimization” Engineering Optimization 6 63 76 1982