This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Braking Performance and Stability of Motor Cycles With and Without Anti-Lock-Braking Systems
Published November 08, 1987 by SAE Australasia in Australia
Annotation ability available
Brake force distribution to the front and rear wheel is normally left to the drivers of motorcycles; some production vehicles have so called combined or integrated brakes where brake force distribution is predetermined by design.
Research work on the braking behaviour of motorcycles was done by the authors with two 1000 cc-motorcycles, which were equipped with 2 different ABS (mechanical, /, electronic) and subjected to driving experiments on various road surfaces at different speeds in straight ahead and curve braking. Braking performance and driving stability was investigated for normal and emergency braking with both standard and combined brakes with and without ABS.
The results demonstrate, that braking performance and safety is best with ABS in a combined-brake-vehicle.
Curve braking is difficult and complex in any case and needs more research which is in progress in Darmstadt right now.
|Technical Paper||CAR CONTROL FACTORS and their MEASUREMENT|
|Technical Paper||A Method for Determining Tire and Wheel Uniformity Needs Using Ride Rating Simulations|
|Journal Article||Tire Model Application and Parameter Identification-A Literature Review|
CitationWeidele, A. and Breuer, B., "Braking Performance and Stability of Motor Cycles With and Without Anti-Lock-Braking Systems," SAE Technical Paper 871183, 1987.
- Bayer, B. Das Pendeln und Flattern von Krafträdern (Weaving and Wobbling of Motorcycles) Forschungshefte Zweiradsicherheit Verlag für neue Wissenschaft GmbH Bremerhaven 1986
- Post, W. Bayer, B. Breuer, B. Kombibremse Motorrad (Combined Braking System for Motorcycles). Deutsche Kraftfahrtforschung und Straβenverkehrstechnik VDI-Verlag Düsseldorf 1984
- Bayer, B. Breuer, B. Untersuchungen zur Schutzwirkung von Motorradfahrerkleidung (Investigations of the protective properties of motorcycle driver's clothing) Der Verkehrsunfall 1982 44 46
- Breuer, B. Lectures on Motorcycles, Technische Hochschule Darmstadt 1985
- Weidele, A. Breuer, B. Kraftradbremsen - Kombibremsen und ABV (Motorcycle Brakes - Combined Braking Systems and ABS) Deutsche Kraftfahrtforschung und Straβenverkehrstechnik VDI-Verlag Düsseldorf 1987