This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Numerical Simulation of the Unsteady Laminar Flame Propagation in a Closed Cylindrical Combustion Bomb
Published January 01, 1800 by SAE Australasia in Australia
This content contains downloadable datasets
Unsteady laminar flame propagation confined in a closed cylindrical combustion bomb is studied by numerical computation for an axisymmetric two-dimensional laminar flame. Computation includes complete two-dimensional unsteady Navier-Stokes equations of change for a chemically reacting propane-air mixture. Implicit Continuous fluid Eulerian, Arbitrary Lagrangian Eulerian finite difference technique, simplified reaction kinetics models, and artificial flame stretching transformation and inverse transformation were adopted in the calculation.
Physically realistic flame behavior can be demonstrated even with rather coarse computing cell size, simplified reaction kinetics models, and personal computer level low power computing machines.
CitationHwang, S., Jeung, I., and Cho, K., "A Numerical Simulation of the Unsteady Laminar Flame Propagation in a Closed Cylindrical Combustion Bomb," SAE Technical Paper 871174, 1800.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- O’Rourke P.J. and Bracco F.V. Two Scaling Transformations for the Numerical Computation of Multidimensional Unsteady Laminar Flames Journal of Computational Physics 33 185 203 1979
- Amsden A.A. , Butler T.D. , O’Rourke P.J. , and Ramshaw J. D. KIVA- A Comprehensive Model for 2-D and 3-D Engine Simulations SAE Paper 850554 1985
- Kojima S. Numerical Calculation of the Two-Dimensional Unsteady Laminar Flame Propagation in a Confined H 2 /Air System Combustion and Flame 63 151 163 1986
- Cloutman L.D. , Dukowicz J.K. , Ramshaw J.D. , and Amsden A.A. CONCHAS-SPRAY : A Computer Code for Reactive Flows with Fuel Sprays Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-9294-MS 1982
- Carpenter M.H. and Ramos J.I. Mathematical Modelling of Spark-Ignition Engines Applied Mathematical Modelling 9 40 52 1985
- Hautman D.J. , Dryer F.L. , Schug K.P. , and Glassman I. A Multiple-step Overall Kinetic Mechanism for the Oxidation of Hydrocarbons Combustion Science and Technology 25 219 235 1981
- Kono M. , Tsukamoto T. and Iinuma K. Fundamental Study on the Modeling of Flame Propagation in Constant Volume Vessels Proceedings of International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Reciprocating Engines 325 334 1985
- Williams F.A. Combustion Theory 2nd Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Co. 647 1985
- Takayama K. Application of Holographic Interferometry to Shock Wave Research Industrial Applications of Laser Technology Fagan W.F. 398 174 180 1983
- Amsden A.A. , Ramshaw J.D. , Cloutman L.D. , and O’Rourke P.J. Improvements and Extensions to the KIVA Computer Program Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-10534-MS 1985
- Dunn-Rankin D. and Sawyer R.F. LDA Study of the Unburned Gas Motion Induced by Nonsteady Flame Propagation in a Constant Volume Duct Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory Report LBL-19165 1985
- Wakai K. , Shimizu S. , Hibino Y. and Tanaka C. The Mechanism of Wedge Shaped Flame Formation in a Closed Vessel Transactions of the JSME 53-B 1433 1442 1987