This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Conditional Sampling to the Study of Cyclic Variability in a Spark-Ignition Engine
Published November 08, 1987 by SAE Australasia in Australia
Annotation ability available
Conditional sampling of cylinder-pressure data is used to investigate cyclic variability in a premixed-charge spark-ignited engine operating under fuel-lean conditions. Unlike straight ensemble averaging of pressure data, conditional sampling applies a set of constraints to the pressure data such that like combustion events can be identified and grouped together.
Ensemble averaging of pressure data from an engine that exhibits significant cycle-to-cycle variation is shown to produce a mean pressure history that is not representative of the combustion process. Conditional sampling provides a means of identifying and analyzing the different groups of pressure histories and therefore the different types of combustion processes that occur in an engine that exhibits cyclic variability.
|Technical Paper||D.I. Diesel Engine In-Cylinder Pressure Data Analysis Under T.D.C. Setting Error|
|Technical Paper||Sound Pressure Levels Generated by Internal Combustion Engine Exhaust Systems|
CitationPlee, S., Remboski, D., and Martin, J., "Application of Conditional Sampling to the Study of Cyclic Variability in a Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 871173, 1987.
- Young M. B. “Cyclic Dispersion in the Homogeneous-Charge Spark-Ignition Engine - A Literature Survey.” SAE 810020 1981
- Patterson D. J. “Cylinder Pressure Variations, a Fundamental Combustion Problem.” SAE 660129 1966
- Quader A. A. “What Limits Lean Operation in Spark Ignition Engines - Flame Initiation or Propagation?” SAE 760760 1976
- Germane G. J. Wood C. G. Hess C. C. “Lean Combustion in Spark-Ignited Internal Combustion Engines - A Review.” SAE 831694 1983
- Matekunas F. A. “Modes and Measures of Cyclic Combustion Variability.” SAE 830337 1983
- Kalghatgi G. T. “Spark Ignition, Early Flame Development and Cyclic Variation in I. C. Engines.” SAE 870163 1987
- Yamamoto H. Misumi M. “Analysis of Cyclic Combustion Variation in a Lean Operating S. I. Engine.” SAE 870547 1987
- Belmont M. R. Hancock M. S. Buckingham D. J. “Statistical Aspects of Cyclic Variability.” SAE 860324 1986
- Brown W. L. “Methods for Evaluating Requirements and Errors in Cylinder Pressure Measurement.” SAE 670008 1967
- Lancaster D. R. Krieger R. B. Lienesch J. H. “Measurements and Analysis of Engine Pressure Data.” SAE 750026 1975
- Wygnonski I. Fieldler H. E. “The Two-Dimensional Mixing Region.” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 41 327 1970
- Witze P. O. Martin J. K. Borgnakke C. “Conditionally-Sampled Velocity and Turbulence Measurements in a Spark-Ignition Engine.” Combustion, Science and Technology 36 301 1984
- Martin J. K. Witze P. O. Borgnakke C. “Combustion Effects on the Preflame Flow Field in a Research Engine.” SAE 850122 1985
- Stivender D. L. “Development of a Fuel-Based Mass Emission Measurement Procedure.” SAE 710604 1971
- Evans P. G. “A Fast Data-Acquisition System for Investigating Combustion Phenomena in Spark-Ignition Engines.” SAE 840057 1984
- Najt P. M. Foster D. E. “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion.” SAE 830264 1983
- Martin J. K. Remboski, D. J. Jr. Plee S. L. “Prior-Cycle Effects on the Nature of Cyclic Variations in Lean-Burn Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion” Western States Section/The Combustion Institute, Fall Meeting 1987