This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Development of An Air Gap Insulated Piston
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The concept of an air gap insulated piston has been explored using bolted and welded/roll bonded designs. Pistons with bolted on crowns demonstrated the effectiveness of air gap insulation, but roll bonded and welded designs were found to be more robust and to provide the complete sealing of the air gap necessary for continued insulation. Evolution of the design to combine high insulation with adequate durability is discussed.
Engine running times of up to 200 hours at full load have been achieved for an air gap piston which reduces heat flow to the crown by 33%. An improved design giving 41% reduction of heat flow has been tested for 78 hours at full engine load with no evident deterioration. Development is continuing to provide a fully durable piston achieving up to 50% reduction in heat flow.
CitationParker, D. and Donnison, G., "The Development of An Air Gap Insulated Piston," SAE Technical Paper 870652, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870652.
- WACKER, E. SANDER W “ Piston Design for High Combustion Pressures and Reduced Heat Rejection to Coolant ” SAE Paper No. 820505 Detroit February 1982
- SIEGLA, D.C. AMMAN, C.A. “ Exploratory Study of the Low-Heat-Rejection Diesel for Passenger Car Applications ” SAE Paper No. 840435 Detroit February 1984
- WALLACE, F.J KAO, T.K TARABAD, M ALEXANDER, W.D. COLE, A. “ Thermally Insulated Diesel Engines ” Proc. I.Mech.E. 1983 198A 5
- WALLACE, F.J KAO, T.K ALEXANDER, W.D COLE, A. TARABAD, M. “ Thermal Barrier Pistons and Their Effect on the Performance of Compound Diesel Engine Cycles ” SAE Paper No. 830312 Detroit February 1983
- BRYZIK, W. KAMO, R. “ TACOM/Cummins Adiabatic Engine Program ” SAE Paper No. 830314 Detroit February 1983
- PARKER, D.A SMART, R.F. “ An Evaluation of Silicon Nitride Diesel Pistons ” Proc. British Ceramic Society July 1978
- PARKER, D.A. “ Insulated Piston Crowns - Construction and Running Experience ” I.Mech.E. Seminar ‘Low Heat Loss Diesel Engines’ 16th September 1982
- MUNRO, R PARKER, D.A GRAHAM, N.A Insulated Pistons
- COLE, R.M. ALKIDAS, A.C “ Evaluation of an Air-Gap Insulated Piston in a Divided-Chamber Diesel Engine ” SAE Paper No. 850359 Detroit February 1985
- OGURI, T. INABA S “ Radiant Heat Transfer in Diesel Engines ” SAE Paper No. 720023 Detroit January 1972