This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Design of a Suspension Parameter Measurement Device
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the theory and design of an apparatus, the Suspension Parameter Measurement Device (SPMD), which has been developed to measure the displacements and forces which occur at the road wheels of a vehicle as the body moves, or as lateral and/or longitudinal forces are applied at the tire/road interface.
Wheel movements resulting from the bounce, pitch, or roll motions of the vehicle body in the absence of lateral and longitudinal forces at the tire/road interface are the kinematic characteristics of the suspension. Wheel displacements caused by the application of forces in the plane of the road are defined as the compliance characteristics, while those resulting from motions of the steering wheel are the steering characteristics. The purpose of the SPMD is to measure all of these characteristics, thereby providing data for use in the simulation of the performance of cars and light trucks.
CitationEllis, J., Burns, S., Garrott, W., and Bell, S., "The Design of a Suspension Parameter Measurement Device," SAE Technical Paper 870576, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870576.
- Ellis, J. R., and Sharp, R. S., “Measurement of Vehicle Parameters,” Proceeding of I Mech E/Cranfield Conference, 1967.
- Ellis, J. R., “A study of Suspension Mechanisms,” Cranfield Institute of Technology, ASAE Report #5, 1969.
- Ellis, J. R., and Butler, D. M., “Analysis and Measurement of the Relative Motions between the Road Wheels of a Vehicle and the Road Surface,” Proceeding of the institution of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 186 57/72.
- Nedley, A. L. and Wilson, W. J., “A New Laboratory Facility for Measuring Vehicle Parameters Affecting Understeer and Brake Steer,” SAE Paper 720473.
- Love, M. L., “Final Report on Task 6 of Contract DOT-FH-11-9158,” Texas A&M Research Foundation Report, 1985.
- Winkler, C. B., and Hagan, M. R, “A Test Facility for the Measurement of Heavy Vehicle Suspension Parameters,” SAE Paper 800905.
- Garrott, W. R., Ellis, J. R., Bell, S. C., Burns, S. C., Liao, Y. C., “VRTC's Light Vehicle Stability and Control Research Program - Report No. 1: The Suspension Parameter Measurement Device,” in press, will be a 1986 NHTSA Report.
- Ellis, J. R., Garrott, W. R., Bell, S. C., Burns, S. C., Liao, Y. C., “Measurement of the Suspension Parameters of Cars and Light Trucks,” in press, will be a 1986 ASME Paper.
- Ellis, J. R., “A Six Degree of Freedom Car Model,” Second International Conference on Vehicle Mechanics, Paris 1971.