This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Design of a Suspension Parameter Measurement Device
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the theory and design of an apparatus, the Suspension Parameter Measurement Device (SPMD), which has been developed to measure the displacements and forces which occur at the road wheels of a vehicle as the body moves, or as lateral and/or longitudinal forces are applied at the tire/road interface.
Wheel movements resulting from the bounce, pitch, or roll motions of the vehicle body in the absence of lateral and longitudinal forces at the tire/road interface are the kinematic characteristics of the suspension. Wheel displacements caused by the application of forces in the plane of the road are defined as the compliance characteristics, while those resulting from motions of the steering wheel are the steering characteristics. The purpose of the SPMD is to measure all of these characteristics, thereby providing data for use in the simulation of the performance of cars and light trucks.
|Technical Paper||Design and Operation of a New-Type Suspension Parameter Measurement Device|
|Technical Paper||Kinematics and Compliance of Sports Utility Vehicles|
CitationEllis, J., Burns, S., Garrott, W., and Bell, S., "The Design of a Suspension Parameter Measurement Device," SAE Technical Paper 870576, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870576.
- Ellis, J. R. Sharp, R. S. “Measurement of Vehicle Parameters,” Proceeding of I Mech E/Cranfield Conference 1967
- Ellis, J. R. “A study of Suspension Mechanisms,” Cranfield Institute of Technology 1969
- Ellis, J. R. Butler, D. M. “Analysis and Measurement of the Relative Motions between the Road Wheels of a Vehicle and the Road Surface,” Proceeding of the institution of Mechanical Engineers 186 57 72
- Nedley, A. L. Wilson, W. J. “A New Laboratory Facility for Measuring Vehicle Parameters Affecting Understeer and Brake Steer,” SAE Paper 720473
- Love, M. L. “Final Report on Task 6 of Contract DOT-FH-11-9158,” Texas A&M Research Foundation Report 1985
- Winkler, C. B. Hagan, M. R, “A Test Facility for the Measurement of Heavy Vehicle Suspension Parameters,” SAE Paper 800905
- Garrott, W. R. Ellis, J. R. Bell, S. C. Burns, S. C. Liao, Y. C. “VRTC's Light Vehicle Stability and Control Research Program - Report No. 1: The Suspension Parameter Measurement Device,”
- Ellis, J. R. Garrott, W. R. Bell, S. C. Burns, S. C. Liao, Y. C. “Measurement of the Suspension Parameters of Cars and Light Trucks,”
- Ellis, J. R. “A Six Degree of Freedom Car Model,” Second International Conference on Vehicle Mechanics Paris 1971