This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Using a Vehicle Dynamics Handbook as a Tool for Improving the Steering and Braking Performances of Heavy Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes maneuvering situations that have been included in a vehicle dynamics handbook developed to summarize the effects of the mechanical properties of vehicles and components in maneuvers involving the braking and steering of straight and articulated heavy trucks. It provides descriptions of performance signatures and measures that have been applied in analyzing a set of benchmark vehicles-a straight truck, a tractor-semitrailer, a double, a triple, a truck-full-trailer, and a B-train. The sensitivities of vehicle performance to changes in component properties are used to outline how improvements in dynamic performance might be planned through a vehicle synthesis process.
|Technical Paper||Refinements of a Heavy Truck ABS Model|
|Technical Paper||Truck Dynamics - Theory Into Practice|
|Technical Paper||Prediction for Truck Endurance from the Basis of Road Profile Measurements|
CitationFancher, P. and Mathew, A., "Using a Vehicle Dynamics Handbook as a Tool for Improving the Steering and Braking Performances of Heavy Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 870494, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870494.
- Fancher, P.S., et al. “A Component Factbook for Straight and Articulated Heavy Trucks.” Phase I Rept., NHTSA Contract DTNH-22-83-C-07187, April 1986.
- Fancher, P.S. and Mathew, A. “A Vehicle Dynamics Handbook for Straight and Articulated Heavy Trucks.” Phase I Final Rept., Contract No. DTNH22-83-C-07187, Transp. Res. Inst., Univ. of Mich., Rept. No. UMTRI-86-37, May 1986.
- Topping, R.W. “Chassis Design Synthesis with Application to Determination of Tire Force and Moment Coefficients.” Symposium on Cornering and Handling Characteristics of Tires, Rubber Div. Amer. Chem. Soc., Los Angeles, April 23-26, 1985.
- Ervin, R.D., et al. “Influence of Size and Weight Variables on the Stability and Control Properties of Heavy Trucks.” Final Rept., Contract No. FH-11-9577, Univ. of Mich. Transp. Res. Inst., Rept. No. UMTRI-83-10, May 1983.
- Segel, L., et al. “Mechanics of Heavy-Duty Trucks and Truck Combinations.” Univ. of Mich. Engrg. Summer Conference, June 13-17, 1983.
- Bernard, J.E. and Vanderploeg, M. “Static and Dynamic Offtracking of Articulated Vehicles.” SAE Paper No. 800151, 1980.
- Mallikarjunarao, C., Ervin, R.D., and Segel, L. “Roll Response of Articulated Motor Trucks During Steady-Turning Maneuvers,” ASME, Winter Annual Meeting, November 1982.
- Winkler, C.B., Fancher, P.S., and MacAdam, C.C. “Parametric Analysis of Heavy Duty Truck Dynamic Stability.” Final Rept., Contract DTNH-22-80-C-07344, Univ. of Mich. Transp. Res. Inst., Rept. No. UMTRI-83-13, March 1983.
- Ervin, R.D., et al. “The Yaw Stability of Tractor-Semitrailers During Cornering.” Final Rept., Contract No. DOT-HS-7-01602, Highway Safety Res. Inst., Univ. of Mich., Rept. No. UM-HSRI-79-21, June 1979.
- Mallikarjunarao, C. and Fancher, P. “Analysis of the Directional Response Characteristics of Double Tankers.” SAE Paper No. 781064, December 1978.
- Mallikarjunarao, C. “Road Tank Design: Its influence on the Risk and Economic Aspects of Transporting Gasoline in Michigan.” Ph.D. Thesis, The University of Michigan, 1982.
- MacAdam, C.C., et al. “A Computerized Model for Simulating the Braking and Steering Dynamics of Trucks, Tractor-Semitrailers, Doubles, and Triples Combinations - Users' Manual.” Final Rept., MVMA Proj. 1197, Highway Safety Res. Inst, Univ. of Mich., Rept. No. UM-HSRI-80-58, September 1, 1980.
- Fancher, P.S. “The Static Stability of Articulated Commercial Vehicles.” Vehicle System Dynamics, Vol. 14, 1985.
- Ervin, R.D., et al. “Ad Hoc Study of Certain Safety-Related Aspects of Double-Bottom Tankers.” Final Rept. to Michigan State Office of Highway Safety Planning, Rept. No. UM-HSRI-78-18, May 7, 1978.
- Fancher, P.S., et al. “Tracking and Stability of Multi-Unit Truck Combinations.” Univ. of Mich. Transp. Res. Inst., Rept. No. UMTRI-84-25, July 1984.
- Ervin, R.D., et al. “Effects of Tire Properties on Truck and Bus Handling.” Final Rept., Contract No. DOT-HS-4-00943. Highway Safety Res. Inst., Univ. of Mich., Rept. No. UM-HSRI-76-11, December 1976.
- Morrison, W.R.B. “A Swept Path Model Which includes Tyre Mechanics.” Proceedings, Sixth Conference, Australian Road Research Board, Vol. 6, Part 1, Canberra, 1972.
- Sayers, M.W. “Vehicle Off-Tracking Models.” Symposium on Geometric Design for Large Trucks.” Transportation Research Board, Denver, Col. August 1985.
- Gillespie, T.D., et al. “Track and Tractor-Trailer Dynamic Response Simulation-T3DRS,” Final Rept, Contract No. FH-11-9330, Highway Safety Res. Inst., Univ. of Mich., Rept. No. UM-HSRI-79-38, March 1979.
- Bernard, J.E., Winkler, C.B., and Fancher, P.S. “A Computer-Based Method for Predicting the Directional Response of Trucks and Tractor-Trailers.” Phase II Rept. Highway Safety Res. Inst., Univ. of Mich., Rept. No. UM-HSRI-PF-73-1, June 1, 1973.
- Leasure, W.A. “Issues in Handling/Stability.” Truck Safety-An Agenda for the Future. SAE/NHTSA, Annapolis, MD, June 3-5, 1986.
- Jindra, F. “Off-Tracking of Tractor-Trailer Combinations.” Automobile Engineer, March 1963, pp. 96-101.
- Fancher, P.S. “The Transient Directional Response of Full Trailers.” SAE Paper No. 821259, 1982.
- Winkler, C.B., et al. “Improving the Dynamic Performance of Multitrailer Vehicles: A Study of innovative Dollies.” Final Rept., Contract No. DTFH61-84-C-00026, Transp. Res. Inst., Univ. of Mich., Rept. No. UMTRI-86-26, July 1986.
- Segel, L., et al. “Mechanics of Heavy-Duty Trucks and Track Combinations.” Engineering Summer Conferences Course Notes, The Univ. of Mich., College of Engineering, July 14-18, 1986.