This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Using an Optical Proximeter to Phase Cylinder Pressure to Crankshaft Position
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of an optical proximeter to determine dynamic top center in a motored engine is demonstrated. Design criteria are formulated and a data reduction procedure is presented. The method is shown to have an accuracy of Δθ = ± 0.1°. Variations in dynamic top center with engine speed that can be attributed to structural flexing and finite bearing clearances are shown to be less than ± 0.05°. It is also shown that the compression ratio during gas exchange is slightly larger than during compression-expansion.
Other methods of finding top center are discussed and contrasted with optical proximetry. In this context a rational means of examining pressure records is presented and shown to be accurate to within Δθ=±0.3°.
|Technical Paper||Fuel Droplets Inside a Firing Spark-Ignition Engine|
|Technical Paper||The Development of a Temperature Compensated Gas Lift Cylinder|
|Technical Paper||Temporary Engine Oil Viscosity Changes at High Temperatures|
CitationFerguson, C., Warner, C., Gottschlich, R., and Wahiduzzaman, S., "Using an Optical Proximeter to Phase Cylinder Pressure to Crankshaft Position," SAE Technical Paper 870478, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870478.
- Lienesch, J.H. Krage, M.K. “Using Microwaves to Phase Cylinder Pressure to Crankshaft Position” SAE Trans. 88 1979 410 418
- Krage, M.K. Lienesch, J.H. Violetta, D.M. “Dynamic Diesel Engine Timing with Microwaves - The General Motors Approach” SAE Trans. 91 1982 189 201
- Yamanaka, T. Esaki, M. Kinoshita, M. “Measurement of TDC in Engine by Microwave Technique” IEEE Trans. MTT-33 12 1985 1489 1494
- Lancaster, D.R. Krieger, R.B. Lienesch, J.H. “Measurement and Analysis of Engine Pressure Data” SAE Transactions 84 1975 155 172
- Douaud, A. Eyzat, P. “DIGITAP - An On-Line Acquisition and Processing System for Instantaneous Engine Data-Applications” SAE Paper 770218 1977
- Rocco, V. “Dynamic T.D.C. and Thermodynamic Loss Angle Measurement in a D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 851546 1985
- Reverencic, I. “Engine Dynamic Pressure Measurement Technique Update” AVL-List Ges.m.b.H. Paper Nov. 1984
- Taylor, C.F. The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice 2 MIT Press 246 1968
- Lagace, L.J. Kissinger, C.D. “Non Contact Displacement and Vibration Measurement Systems Employing Fiber Optic and Variable Capacitance Transducers,” proceedings of the 23rd International Instrumentation Symposium Las Vegas, Nevada May 1977