This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tribological Study of Selected Ceramics versus Metal Sliding Couples
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Tribological study has been dorse with dry and lubricated conditions on the several selected sliding couples of ceramics vs. ceramics ceramics vs. metal and ceramics vs. plasma sprayed metal. Sliding velocity was 2.6m/s (8.5ft/s), load was 22N and temperature was room temperature to 540° C (1000°F).
No significant wear was observed on any sliding couples when they were lubricated.
A considerably better tribological character was found in the ceramics vs. metal couple with dry condition. Especially sintered sillicon nitride (SSN) vs. LiF+Cu plasma sprayed M2 steel at room temperature to 540° C and SSN vs. M2 steel couple at 540° C were remarkable.
It is considered that the tribological character between ceramics and metal contact may be controlled by adhesion of metal to ceramics.
|Technical Paper||CVD Tungsten Carbide and Titaniutm Carbide Coatings for Aerospace Components|
|Technical Paper||High Value PVD Top Ring for High Speed Diesel Engines|
- Keith Matsuhiro - Materials Research Laboratory NGK Insulators, Ltd. Nagoya, Japan
- Hitoshi Sakai - Materials Research Laboratory NGK Insulators, Ltd. Nagoya, Japan
- Takao Soma - Materials Research Laboratory NGK Insulators, Ltd. Nagoya, Japan
- Isao Oda - Materials Research Laboratory NGK Insulators, Ltd. Nagoya, Japan
CitationMatsuhiro, K., Sakai, H., Soma, T., and Oda, I., "Tribological Study of Selected Ceramics versus Metal Sliding Couples," SAE Technical Paper 870417, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870417.
- Toyama K. Yoshimitsu T. Nishiyama T. Shimauchi T. Nakagaki T. “Heat Insulated Turbocompound Engine” SAE Paper 831345
- Moorhouse P. Mortimer B. Kamo R. “Solid Lubrication Studies for Adiabatic Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 85058 SAE SP-610 Advances in Adiabatic Engines Detroit March 1985
- Shimauchi T. Murakami T. Nakagaki T. Tsuya Y. Umeda K. “Tribology at high temperature for uncooled heat insulated engine” SAE Paper 840429
- Buckley D. H. Miyoshi K. “Friction and Wear of Ceramics” Wear 100 333 353 1984
- The Lubrication of industrial Gears 1964 Shell International Petroleum Co. ltd. London 63