This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flow-Field Surveys Behind Three Squareback Car Models Using a New “Fourteen-Hole” Probe
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The flow-field mapping technique previously developed in the Pininfarina wind tunnel has further evolved during 1986.
The former technique (1985), based on the use of a “seven-hole” probe, had two main limitations:
- poor sensitivity at low speed (<8 m/sec.)
- incapability of measuring at flow angles greater than +− 70°
Both these conditions often occur inside the near-wakes of passenger-car models.
Therefore, wake maps (velocities and pressures) made in the past were largely incomplete in their inner parts.
The new probe has a double “seven-hole” pattern and its performance exceeds that of two “seven-hole” probes used separately.
It was developed during the fourth year of a research program aimed at providing new experimental information on reverse flows in automobile wakes, for use in developing improved computational fluid dynamic (CFD) techniques for automobiles.
Reverse flows inside the near-wake of three full-scale squareback car models were investigated.
One of these models is the same as was tested in the past. The other two differ slightly in their rear-end shape from the first one.
The main characteristics of the new probe and its performance are presented and compared with the “seven-hole” probe.
Furthermore, the maps of velocities and pressures measured in the wakes of the three squareback car models are reported.
|Technical Paper||Transient Nature of Wind Gust Effects on an Automobile|
|Technical Paper||Advances in Flow Visualization Using Liquid-Crystal Coatings|
|Technical Paper||Development of a Closed Loop, Full Scale Automotive Climatic Wind Tunnel|
CitationCogotti, A., "Flow-Field Surveys Behind Three Squareback Car Models Using a New “Fourteen-Hole” Probe," SAE Technical Paper 870243, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870243.
- Cogotti A. “A passenger car wake survey using coloured isopressure maps” Third International Symposium on Flow Visualization Ann Arbor Sept. 83
- Cogotti A. “Wake surveys of different car-body shapes with coloured isopressure maps” SAE paper 840229 Detroit February 84
- Cogotti A. “New measurement techniques in the wind tunnel” Autotechnologies Montecarlo 85 February 85
- Cogotti A. “Car-wake imaging using a seven-hole probe” SAE paper 860214 Detroit February 86
- “Aerodynamic flow visualization techniques and procedures” SAE Information Report HS J1566 January 86
- Italian National Research Council/Industrie Pininfarina s.p.a. Contract No. 85.02521.93
- Cogotti A. “Recent advances in flow field mapping techniques” SAE paper 870718 Autotechnologies Montecarlo 87 January 87
- Gallington R. Sisson G. “Flow visualization using a computerized data acquisition system” Second International Symposium on Flow Visualization Bochum September 80