This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tensile and Strain-Controlled Fatigue Data for Certain Aluminum Alloys for Application in the Transportation Industry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Monotonic and cyclic strain-controlled fatigue tests were conducted at room temperature on several heat-treatable and non-heat-treatable aluminum alloys of interest to the transportation industry. Extrusion, forging, plate, and sheet product-forms were tested. Various monotonic and cyclic fatigue properties are furnished, and the respective strain-life curves are compared. In general, materials with strong monotonic strain-hardening tendencies are also shown to exhibit marked cyclic hardening.
CitationWong, W., Bucci, R., Stentz, R., and Conway, J., "Tensile and Strain-Controlled Fatigue Data for Certain Aluminum Alloys for Application in the Transportation Industry," SAE Technical Paper 870094, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870094.
- “Data on Aluminum Alloys Properties and Characteristics for Automotive Applications,” The Aluminum Association February 1982
- Sandor B. I. “Fundamentals of Cyclic Stress and Strain,” University of Wisconsin Press Madison, WI 1972
- Manson S. S. Hirschberg M. Proc. Tenth Sagamore Army Matls. Research Conf. Burke J. J. Reed N, L. Weiss V. Syracuse Univ. Press 1964 133 178
- Smith R. Hirschberg M. Manson S. S. “Fatigue Behavior of Materials Under Cycling in Low and Intermediate Life Range,” Report NASA-TN-D-1574 National Aeronautics and Space Administration April 1963
- Endo T. Morrow JoDean “Cyclic Stress-Strain and Fatigue Behavior of Representative Aircraft Metals,” Journal of Materials, JMSLA 4 1 March 1969
- Coffin, L. F. Jr. Tavernelli J. F. “The Cyclic Straining and Fatigue of Metals,” Transactions of the Metallurgical Society of AIME 215 October 1959
- Manson S. S. “Fatigue: A complex subject - Some simple approximation,” Exper. Mechanics July 1965 193 226
- “Fatigue Design Handbook,” Graham J. A. Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 400 Commonwealth Drive, Warrendale, PA
- “Technical Report on Fatigue Properties -SAE J1099,” SAE Information Report of Fatigue Design and Evaluation Steering Committee February 1973
- Allison G. A. Bucci R. J. “A Program for Determining the Strain Control Fatigue Properties of Aluminum Alloys Used in the Transportation Industry,” Fatigue and Creep of Materials for Transportation and Power Industries, MPC 25 American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1984 147 Lawton C. W.
- “Strain Control Fatigue Testing of Aluminum Alloys for the Transportation Industry,” final report, Mar-Test, Inc., Cincinnati Dec. 1985 Materials Properties Council
- Wong W. A. “Monotonic and Cyclic Fatigue Properties of Automotive Aluminum Alloys,” SAE Technical Paper Series 840120 International Congress & Exposition Detroit, MI Feb 27 Mar 2 1984 SAE Transactions 1984
- Wong W. A. “Monotonic and Cyclic Fatigue Properties of 5086-H32 Plate, 6061-T651 Extrusion, and 5086/6061 Weldment,” Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical Corp August 30 1985
- Sanders T. H. Staley J. T. Mauney D. A. “Strain Control Fatigue as a Tool to Interpret Fatigue Initiation of Aluminum alloys,” presented at 10th. Annual International Symposium on Material Science, Fundamental Aspects of Structural Alloy Design Seattle, WA September 1975
- Bucci R. J. “Selecting Aluminum Alloys to Resist Failure by Fracture Mechanisms,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 12 1979 407