This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Detachment of Wheels from Commercial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Detachment of wheels from heavy commercial vehicles has been noted in the UK. The mechanism appears to be that of a clamping failure. The compressive force of the wheelnut does not generate enough frictional holding power to prevent microscopic movements taking place between the wheel and nut. When this occurs the studs will be rapidly fatigued in bending and in addition the wheelnuts may loosen.
The forces imposed by cornering reduce the compressive forces under the wheelnuts. In-plane forces, such as the ground reaction, may then be sufficient to overcome the frictional hold. The reduction of clamping force is larger when the stud is stiff.
Dimensional inaccuracies make a key contribution to the problem. They arbitrarily change the designed flexibilities, they introduce fitting stresses and they create the difference in perimeters necessary for wheelnut loosening.
CitationSearle, J., "The Detachment of Wheels from Commercial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 861974, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861974.
- Dickson-Simpson, J.M. “Why wheels break loose” Transport Engineer February 1982
- Anon. “How to stop wheels coming off.” Motor Transport 15 September 1982 26
- Anon. Atkinson Seddon “Five main reasons why wheel studs fail” Roadway June 1982 20 21
- Anon. “Wheel fixing worry” Transport Engineer June 1983 5
- Anon. “Losing wheels” Transport Engineer June 1983 20 22
- Anon. “The lost wheels mystery” Transport Engineer July 1983
- Anon. Western BRS Ltd., Bristol “A study of wheel and wheel nut failure and notes on effective brake maintainance”
- Henshall, J.L. “Back to basics on wheelstud failure” Transport Engineer September 1984 7 10
- Fosberry, R.A.C. “An investigation of flat-disc wheel fixings” MIRA Report Motor Industry Research Association Nuneaton June 1956
- Goodier, J.N. Sweeney, R.J. “Loosening by vibration of threaded fastenings” Mechanical Engineerig 67 12 December 1945 798 802