This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Revised Damage Analysis Procedure for the CRASH Computer Program
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A revised damage analysis procedure for CRASH, which includes restitution effects, is described. The proposed calculation procedure has the potential capability of (1) improving the delta-V accuracy in low-speed collisions and (2) segregating stiffness and restitution properties. The analytical approach can provide a basis for refinement of the categorization of vehicles through its use of additional crush property descriptors. Sample results from applications of a prototype computer routine are presented and compared with corresponding results from the original damage routine of CRASH.
The reported research has been supported by McHenry Consultants, Inc.
CitationMcHenry, R. and McHenry, B., "A Revised Damage Analysis Procedure for the CRASH Computer Program," SAE Technical Paper 861894, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861894.
- Monk, M. W. Guenther, D. A. “Update of CRASH2 Computer Model Damage Tables, Volume 1,” Vehicle Research and Test Center, National Highway Safety Administration East Liberty, Ohio Report No. DOT-HS-806446 March 1983
- Smith, Russell A. Noga, J. Thomas “Accuracy and Sensitivity of CRASH,” SAE Paper No. 821169 Twenty-Sixth Stapp Car Crash Conference Ann Arbor, Michigan October 20-21 1982
- McHenry, R. R. “The CRASH Program-A Simplified Collision Reconstruction Program,” Proceedings of Motor Vehicle Collision Investigation Symposium Calspan Corporation October 6-10 1975
- McHenry, R. R. “User's Manual for the CRASH Computer Program,” Calspan Report No. ZQ-5708-V-3, Contract No. DOT-HS-5-01124 January 1976
- McHenry, R. R. “A Computer Program for Reconstruction of Highway Accidents,” Proceedings of the 17th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper No. 730980 November 12-13 1973
- Shoemaker, N. E. “Research Input for Computer Simulation of Automobile Collisions,” Calspan Report Nos. ZQ-6057-V-4 and ZQ-6057-V-5, Contract No. DOT-HS-7-01511 December 1978
- Smith, R. A. Noga, J. T. “Accuracy and Sensitivity of CRASH,” NHTSA Technical Report No. DOT-HS-806152 March 1982
- Smith, R. A. Noga, J. T. “Examples of Staged Collisions in Accident Reconstruction,” Highway Collision Reconstruction Safety Division, ASME November 1980
- CRASH3 User's Guide and Technical Manual, Publication No. DOT-HS-805732 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington April 1982
- Emori, Richard I. “Mechanics of Automobile Collisions,” First International Conference on Vehicle Mechanics Wayne State University July 16-18 1968
- Woolley, R. L. Warner, C. Y. Tagg, Melaney “Inaccuracies in the CRASH3 Program,” Society of Automotive Engineers Paper No. 850255 International Congress and Exposition Detroit February 1985
- Marquard, E. “The Mechanics of Vehicle Collisions,” Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift 64 5 141 148 May 1962
- Emori, Richard I. “Analytical Approach to Automobile Collisions,” SAE Paper No. 680016 Detroit January 1968
- McHenry, R. R. Miller, P. M. “Automobile Structural Crashworthiness,” SAE Paper No. 700412 1970 International Automobile Safety Conference Compendium Detroit May 13-15 1970
- Campbell, Kenneth L. “Energy Basis for Collision Severity,” SAE Paper No. 740565 3rd International Conference on Occupant Protection Troy, Michigan July 10-12 1974