This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Component Level Head Impact Test Device
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the development of a free-motion headform which was designed to permit the simulation of head impacts common in the automotive crash environment. A Hybrid III headform was modified allowing it to be propelled in free flight at up to 64.4 km/h velocities. The headform was also instrumented with a nine-accelerometer array to permit the calculation of rotational accelerations. Tests were conducted to determine the repeatability and sensitivity of the device, and component test results were compared with results from a full scale crash test in which Hybrid III dummies were used. Comparisons are also made with accident investigation information obtained from the NHTSA Washington Hospital Trauma Center study.
CitationSaul, R., Farson, M., and Guenther, D., "Development of a Component Level Head Impact Test Device," SAE Technical Paper 861889, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861889.
- “Head Injury - Hope Through Research,” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service National Institutes of Health August 1984
- Willke, D. Monk, M. “Side Interior Stiffness Measurement,” Final Report, SRL-66 Vehicle Research and Test Center East Liberty, Ohio September 1984
- Searle, J.A. “Headform Impact Tests on the Interior Surfaces of Two of the Renault 5 Vehicles,” Motor Industry Research Association Report No. K4320/RS 1981
- Robbins, D.H. Melvin, J.W. Heulke, D.F. Sherman, H.W. “Biomechanical Accident Investigation Methodology,” The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute 1983
- Walker, L.B. Harris, E.H. Pontius, U.R. “Mass, Volume, Center of Mass, Moment of Inertia of Head and Neck of Human Body,” The 17th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1973
- Saul, R.A. Farson, M. Guenther, D.A. “Component Head Test Accident Reconstruction Feasibility Analysis,” Final Report, SRL-73 Vehicle Research and Test Center June 1986
- Beebe, M. “1980 Ford Mustang to Fixed Load Cell Barrier,” Test Report Number 840823, Project SRL-98 Vehicle Research and Test Center January 1985
- Head and Neck Injury Case Report No. HNN-28-207(074) Management Engineers Incorporated Reston, Virginia 1983
- Head and Neck Injury Study Report No. 146-020484 Calspan Field Service, Inc. Arlington, Virginia 1984
- Head and Neck Injury Study Report No. 133-111983 Calspan Field Service, Inc. Arlington, Virginia 1983