This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prediction of an Occupant's Motion During Rollover Crashes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to understand an occupant's often violent and complicated motion during rollover accidents, the motion of an anthropomorphic dummy was predicted dynamically using a human body gross motion simulation program. The accuracy of the predicted motion was established by its favorable comparison to that recorded on high speed film during a 60 mph crash in which the vehicle rolled over four times. This vehicle motion was then modified to six other rollover crash situations for computer simulation. Significant changes in the predicted occupant motion were readily observed. Differences were also observed in occupant accelerations and impact and belt forces.
CitationObergefell, L., Kaleps, I., and Johnson, A., "Prediction of an Occupant's Motion During Rollover Crashes," SAE Technical Paper 861876, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861876.
- “National Accident Sampling system 1984,” US Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration November 1985
- Robbins, D.H. Viano, D.C. “MVMA 2-D Modeling of Occupant Kinematics in Rollovers,” SAE Paper No 840860 May 1984
- Kaleps, I. Obergefell, L.A. Ryerson, J. “Simulation of Restrained Occupant Dunamics During Vehicle Rollover” Final Report for DOT Interagency Agreement DTNH22-83-X-07296
- Fleck, J.T. Butler, F.E. Vogel, S.L. “An Improved Three-Dimensional Computer Simulation of Crash Victims,” NHTSA Report Nos DOT-HS-801-507 through 510 April 1975
- Fleck, J.T. Butler, F.E. “Development of an Improved Computer Model of the Human Body and Extremity Dynamics,” Report No AMRL-TR-75-14 July 1975
- Butler, F.E. Fleck, J.T. “Advanced Restraint System Modeling,” Report No AFAMRL-TR-80-14 May 1980
- Kaleps, I. “Prediction of Whole-Body Response to Impact Forces in Flight Environments,” AGARD Conference Proceedings No 253 Paris, France November 1978
- Kaleps, I. Marcus, J.H. “Predictions of Child Motion During Panic Braking and Impact,” Proc. 26th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No 821166 October 1982
- Leetch, B.D. Bowman, W.L. “Articulated Total Body (ATB) VIEW Package Software Report,” Report No AFAMRL-TR-81-111 1 2 October 1981