This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methanol as a Fuel for Commercial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two possibilities for using methanol in heavy-duty, engines are discussed:
If the engine is modified according to the fuel properties pure methanol can be used as fuel for a spark ignition methanol-gas engine.
When the fuel is adapted to meet, the requirements of the engine additized methanol serves as a fuel for an only slightly modified direct-injection diesel engine.
The comparison takes into, consideration fuel cost, convertibility of vehicles already in use, operational safety, and; reliability, requirements regarding fuel production and distribution, conventional fuel/alternative fuel reversibility, and environmental aspects.
It can be concluded that both systems appear to be suitable in certain-heavy-duty engine applications.
|Technical Paper||Performance and Emissions of a HD Diesel Engine Converted for Alternative Fuel Use|
|Journal Article||HD Diesel Engines Development for Alternative Fuel Use|
CitationHeinrich, W., Marquardt, K., and Schaefer, A., "Methanol as a Fuel for Commercial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 861581, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861581.
- Hardenberg H.O. ‘Thermodynamische Betrachtungen zum Mercedes-Benz Methanol-Gasmotor-Konzept’ Automobil-Industrie No.3 1983 297 301
- Mischke A. Körner D. Bergmann H. ‘The Mercedes-Benz Alcohol-Gas Engine M407hGO’ 5th International Alcohol Fuel Technology Symposium Auckland, New Zealand May 1982
- Bergmann H. ‘First Experience with Methanol-Vapor-Powered City Buses Used in Regular Service in Auckland and Berlin’ 5th International Alcohol Fuel Technology Symposium Auckland, New Zealand May 1982
- Bergmann H.K. ‘A Highly Efficient Alcohol Vapor Aspirating Spark-Ignition Engine with Heat Recovery’ SAE paper 821190
- Schäfer A.J. Hardenberg H.O. ‘Ignition Improvers for Ethanol Fuels’ SAE paper 810249
- Bandel W. Schäfer A.J. Hardenberg H.O. ‘Dieselmotorisch geeignete Alkoholkraftstoffe’ Entwicklungslinien fur Kraftfahrzeuge und Kraftstoffe: Forschungsbilanz 1982 Der Bundesminister für Forschung und Technologie TÜV Rheinland, Köln 1983 534 541
- Heinrich W. ‘Entwicklung und Erprobung von Alkoholkraftstoffen für Nutzfahrzeug-Dieselmotoren’
- Bandel W. Ventura L.M. ‘Problems in Adapting Ethanol Fuels to the Requirements of Diesel Engines’ 4th International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology Guaruja, Brazil October 1980
- Fahlander S. Walde N. ‘Ethanol Fuels with Ignition Improver for Turbocharged Diesel Engines’ 4th International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology Guaruja, Brazil October 1980
- Hardenberg H.O. Schäfer A.J. ‘The Use of Ethanol as a CI Engine Fuel’ SAE paper 811211
- Hardenberg H.O. Schäfer A.J. ‘Considerations with Regard to the Use of Ethanol as a Diesel Fuel Substitute’ Annual Transportation Convention 1986 Pretoria, South Africa August 1986
- Ventura L.M. Bandel W. ‘Experience in the Use of Alcohol Fuels in Conventional Diesel Engines’ 5th International Alcohol Fuel Technology Symposium Auckland, New Zealand May 1982
- Fontanello E.P. Ventura L.M. Bandel W. ‘The Use of Ethanol with Ignition Improver as a CI-Engine Fuel in Brazilian Trucks’ 7th International Alcohol Fuel Technology Symposium Paris, France October 1986
- Weiβ E.K.J. Hardenberg H.O. ‘Aspects of the Use of Ignition-Improved methanol in Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines’ Annual Transportation Convention 1986 Pretoria, South Africa August 1986
- Myburgh J.S. Weiβ E.K. J. ‘Evaluation of Ignition-Improved methanol as an Alternative Fuel for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines’ 7th International Alcohol Fuel Technology Symposium Paris, France October 1986
- Hardenberg H.O. Schäfer A.J. Metsch H.I. ‘Fuel Vaporization Improves Fuel Economy of Alcohol-Burning SI Engines’ SAE paper 821189