This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methanol as a Fuel for Commercial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two possibilities for using methanol in heavy-duty, engines are discussed:
If the engine is modified according to the fuel properties pure methanol can be used as fuel for a spark ignition methanol-gas engine.
When the fuel is adapted to meet, the requirements of the engine additized methanol serves as a fuel for an only slightly modified direct-injection diesel engine.
The comparison takes into, consideration fuel cost, convertibility of vehicles already in use, operational safety, and; reliability, requirements regarding fuel production and distribution, conventional fuel/alternative fuel reversibility, and environmental aspects.
It can be concluded that both systems appear to be suitable in certain-heavy-duty engine applications.
|Technical Paper||Performance and Emissions of a HD Diesel Engine Converted for Alternative Fuel Use|
|Journal Article||HD Diesel Engines Development for Alternative Fuel Use|
|Technical Paper||Results Obtained by Methanol Fuelling Diesel Engine|
CitationHeinrich, W., Marquardt, K., and Schaefer, A., "Methanol as a Fuel for Commercial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 861581, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861581.
- Hardenberg H.O., ‘Thermodynamische Betrachtungen zum Mercedes-Benz Methanol-Gasmotor-Konzept’, Automobil-Industrie No.3 (1983), pp. 297-301
- Mischke A., Körner D. and Bergmann H., ‘The Mercedes-Benz Alcohol-Gas Engine M407hGO’, 5th International Alcohol Fuel Technology Symposium, Auckland, New Zealand, May 1982
- Bergmann H., ‘First Experience with Methanol-Vapor-Powered City Buses Used in Regular Service in Auckland and Berlin’, 5th International Alcohol Fuel Technology Symposium, Auckland, New Zealand, May 1982
- Bergmann H.K., ‘A Highly Efficient Alcohol Vapor Aspirating Spark-Ignition Engine with Heat Recovery’, SAE paper 821190
- Schäfer A.J. and Hardenberg H.O., ‘Ignition Improvers for Ethanol Fuels’, SAE paper 810249
- Bandel W., Schäfer A.J. and Hardenberg H.O., ‘Dieselmotorisch geeignete Alkoholkraftstoffe’, Entwicklungslinien fur Kraftfahrzeuge und Kraftstoffe: Forschungsbilanz 1982, Der Bundesminister für Forschung und Technologie, Verlag TÜV Rheinland, Köln, 1983, pp. 534-541
- Heinrich W., ‘Entwicklung und Erprobung von Alkoholkraftstoffen für Nutzfahrzeug-Dieselmotoren’, to be published
- Bandel W. and Ventura L.M., ‘Problems in Adapting Ethanol Fuels to the Requirements of Diesel Engines’, 4th International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology, Guaruja, Brazil, October 1980
- Fahlander S. and Walde N., ‘Ethanol Fuels with Ignition Improver for Turbocharged Diesel Engines’, 4th International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology, Guaruja, Brazil, October 1980
- Hardenberg H.O. and Schäfer A.J., ‘The Use of Ethanol as a CI Engine Fuel’, SAE paper 811211
- Hardenberg H.O. and Schäfer A.J., ‘Considerations with Regard to the Use of Ethanol as a Diesel Fuel Substitute’, to be published at the Annual Transportation Convention 1986, Pretoria, South Africa, August 1986
- Ventura L.M. and Bandel W., ‘Experience in the Use of Alcohol Fuels in Conventional Diesel Engines’, 5th International Alcohol Fuel Technology Symposium, Auckland, New Zealand, May 1982
- Fontanello E.P., Ventura L.M. and Bandel W., ‘The Use of Ethanol with Ignition Improver as a CI-Engine Fuel in Brazilian Trucks’ to be published at the 7th International Alcohol Fuel Technology Symposium, Paris, France, October 1986
- Weiβ E.K.J. and Hardenberg H.O., ‘Aspects of the Use of Ignition-Improved methanol in Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines’, to be published at the Annual Transportation Convention 1986, Pretoria, South Africa, August 1986
- Myburgh J.S. and Weiβ E.K. J., ‘Evaluation of Ignition-Improved methanol as an Alternative Fuel for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines’, to be published at the 7th International Alcohol Fuel Technology Symposium, Paris, France, October 1986
- Hardenberg H.O., Schäfer A.J. and Metsch H.I., ‘Fuel Vaporization Improves Fuel Economy of Alcohol-Burning SI Engines’, SAE paper 821189