This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Fuel Drop Size and Combustor Operating Conditions on Pollutant Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Tests are conducted in a tubular, gas-turbine type combustor, containing a 15 cm diameter combustion liner. The fuel injector comprises a circular array of 36 “microscopic” plain-jet airblast atomizers which is incorporated into a perforated plate flameholder. Standard instrumentation and sampling techniques are used to measure pollutant emissions over wide ranges of mean fuel drop size. The fuel employed is diesel oil (DF2). The results obtained demonstrate the effects of variations in fuel drop size and combustor operating conditions on the emissions of carbon monoxide, unburned hydrocarbons, oxides of nitrogen, and particulates, over a range of pressures from 0.76 to 1.27 MPa (7.5 to 12.5 atmos.) and for inlet air temperatures from 473 to 773K.
CitationRink, K. and Lefebvre, A., "Influence of Fuel Drop Size and Combustor Operating Conditions on Pollutant Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 861541, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861541.
- Richards, G. Sojka, P.E. Lefebvre, A.H. “Drop-Size Studies in a Radially-Uniform Fuel Spray,” SAE Technical Paper Series 852083 1985
- Rink, K.K. Lefebvre, A.H. “Experimental Facility for the Study of Pollutant Formation in Spray Combustion,” Paper presented at the Central States Section Spring Technical Meeting held NASA Lewis, Cleveland May 1986
- Rink, K.K. Lefebvre, A.H. “Pollutant Formation in Heterogeneous Mixtures of Fuel Drops and Air,” presented at AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE 22nd Joint Propulsion Conference Huntsville. Alabama June 1986
- Holderness, F.H. Macfarlane, J.J. “Soot Formation in Rich Kerosene Flames at High Pressure,” Atmospheric Pollution by Aircraft Engines, AGARD CP-125 Advisory Group for Aerospace Research and Development 1973
- Toone, B. “A Review of Aero Engine Smoke Emission,” Combustion in Advanced Gas Turbine Systems Smith I.E. 271 296 Cranfield International Symposium Series X Pergamon, London 1968
- Lefebvre, A.H. “Factors Controlling Gas Turbine Combustion Performance at High Pressure,” Combustion in Advanced Gas Turbine Systems Smith I.E. 211 226 Cranfield International Symposium Series X Pergamon, London 1968