This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Combustion Processes in the Prechamber and Main Chamber of an Indirect Injection Diesel Engine by High-Speed Photography
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The combustion processes in the prechamber and the main chamber of a small indirect injection (I.D.I.) diesel engine were observed simultaneously by high-speed photography. These observations made it possible to characterize the behavior of flames in both chambers, that is, ignition of fuel, developing and rotating flames in the prechamber, and a flame jet spouting into the main chamber. The effect of engine variables, such as fuel injection timing, cross-sectional area of a throat, fuel injector location, and a recess in a piston top, on the combustion process as well as the engine performance were considered. A flame jet spouting into the main chamber separated into two directions and induced two vortexes. Brown sooty flames appeared along the prechamber wall and inside the flame jet which struck on the piston top. The higher-velocity flame jet and the two Intense vortexes induced by the flame jet realized superior fuel consumption and lower smoke emission.
|Technical Paper||Experimental Investigation of Film-Space Atomization Combustion in D.I. Diesel Engines|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Analysis and Performance Improvement of a Single Cylinder Direct Injection Turbocharged Low Heat Rejection Engine|
CitationNishida, K., Hiroyasu, H., Matsuoka, T., and Yamauchi, H., "Characterization of Combustion Processes in the Prechamber and Main Chamber of an Indirect Injection Diesel Engine by High-Speed Photography," SAE Technical Paper 861181, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861181.
- Alcock J. F. Scott W. M. “Some More Light on Diesel Combustion,” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrg, (A.D.) 5 179 1962
- Nakajima K. Kajiya S. Nagao F. “An Experimental Investigation of the Air Swirl Motion and Combustion in the Swirl Chamber of Diesel Engines,” 12th. International Automobile Technical Congress (FISITA) 1968
- Peterson R. C. Alkidas A. C. “A Visual Study of Divided-Chamber Diesel Cmbustion Using a Rapid Compression Machine,” Combust. Flame. 53 65 1983
- Kontani K. Gotoh S. “Measurement of Soot in a Diesel Combustion Chamber by Light Extinction Method and In-Cylinder -Observation by Highspeed Shadowgraphy,” SAE Paper 831291 1983
- Ito Y. Senda J. Fujimoto H. Terada K. “Effect of Flame Discharge through a Passageway on Rate of Heat Release in IDI Engine,” Proceedings of Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Reciprocating Engines 467 1985
- Sitkei G. “Kraftstoffaufbereitung und Verbrennung bei Dieselmotoren,” Springer-Verlag 1964
- Tateishi M. Imoto K. Inenaga N. Ishikawa H. Harada S. “New Combustion System of the IDI Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 841081 1984