This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Test Methods and Computer Modeling for the Analysis of Ground Vehicle Handling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents test methods and modeling procedures for identifying the directional handling characteristics of vehicles over the full maneuvering range from straight running to limit cornering and/or braking. The test procedures are designed to validate steady-state and dynamic response performance. The model parameters are derived from simple static tests of vehicle properties and tire parameters identified from tire machine tests. Current steady-state field test procedures validate the model response under cornering only conditions. Model analysis then extrapolates vehicle response under combined cornering and braking conditions. Some discussion is devoted to potential braking in a turn transient testing for more complete model validation.
|Technical Paper||Dynamics of the Automobile Related to Driver Control|
|Technical Paper||Virtual Testing of High Lift Systems|
|Technical Paper||Optimising Simulation and Test Techniques for Efficient Vehicle Durability Design and Development|
CitationAllen, R., Szostak, H., Rosenthal, T., and Johnston, D., "Test Methods and Computer Modeling for the Analysis of Ground Vehicle Handling," SAE Technical Paper 861115, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861115.
- Hogue, J. R., Szostak H. T., and Klein R. H., Development of Tire Intermix Performance and Inspection System. Volume II: Technical Report, NHTSA DOT-HS-805 984, Apr. 1981.
- Allen, R. Wade, Johnson Walter A., Rosenthal Theodore J., et al., “Quasilinear Analysis of Nonlinear Dynamic Simulations,” Systems Technology, Inc., P-386, to be presented at the 1986 Summer Computer Simulation Conference, Reno, Nevada, 28-30 July 1986.
- Szostak, Henry T., Johnson Walter A., Allen R. Wade, et al., “A Microcomputer Program for Analyzing a Tire Model to be Used in Vehicle Dynamics Simulations,” Systems Technology, Inc., P-381, presented at 1986 SCS MultiConference, San Diego, CA, 23-25 Jan. 1986.
- Schuring, D. J., Tire Parameter Determination, 9 Vols., NHTSA DOT-HS-802 086 through 094, Nov. 1976.
- Tapia, George A., Extending Tire Data, NHTSA DOT-HS-806 594, Nov. 1983.
- Segel, Leonard, “Theoretical Prediction and Experimental Substantiation of the Response of the Automobile to Steering Controls,” presented at the Proceedings of the Automobile Division, No. 7, 1956-1957.
- Weir, David H., Shortwell C. P., and Johnson W. A., “Dynamics of the Automobile Related to Driver Control,” SAE Paper No. 680194, Feb. 1967.
- Szostak, H. T., “Static Test of Chassis Parameters for a 1980 Chevrolet Citation,” Systems Technology, Inc., WP-1119-4, June 1980.
- Weir, David H., and DiMarco Richard J., “Correlation and Evaluation of Driver/Vehicle Directional Handling Data,” SAE Paper No. 780010, Feb. 1978.