This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Ride Quality - Measurement and Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In 1976 the author presented an SAE paper on ride quality in which a two-degree-of-freedom ride quality simulation was developed for measuring vertical motions. The present paper reports on the work done since that time. Side-to-side motion has been added to the simulator developed for the Association of American Railroads as well as the studies needed to find the impedance of humans when subjected to side-to-side and fore-and-aft motion. These studies found that rough rides are better endured during warmer weather and that women do not resonate as readily as men at the two critical and annoying side-to-side frequencies. Last, the paper deals with the use of a rigid mass to measure seat acceleration. Through a transfer function, a computer simulation has been developed to find the vertical seat acceleration.
|Technical Paper||System Dynamics and Ride Quality Assessment of Automobile|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Study and Thermal Modeling of an Automobile Driver with a Heated and Ventilated Seat|
CitationWambold, J., "Vehicle Ride Quality - Measurement and Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 861113, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861113.
- Park, W. H. Wambold J. C. “Objective Ride Quality Measurement,” SAE Paper 760360 Society of Automotive Engineers 1976
- “Guide for the Evaluation of Human Exposure to Whole-Body Vibrations.” 2nd International Standards Organization Paris
- Richards, L. G. Jacobson I. D. Pepler R. D. “Ride Quality Models for Diverse Transportation Systems.” Transportation Research Record 774 1980 39 45
- Park, W. H. Wambold J. C. “Objective Measures of Ride Quality,” Report No. PTI 7425 Pennsylvania Transportation Institute, Pennsylvania State University 1975
- Suggs, C. W. et al. “Application of a Dynamic Simulator in Seat Testing.” Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers 13 3 1970 378 381
- Suggs, C. W. et al. “Application of a Dumped Spring-Mass Human Vibration Simulator in Vibration Testing of Vehicle Seats,” Ergonomics 12 1 1970 79 90
- Wambold, J. C. Henry J. J. Yeh E. C. Methodology for Analyzing Pavement Condition Data (MAPCON) I Final Report, Report No. FHWA/RD-83/094 Pennsylvania Transportation Institute, Pennsylvania State University 1984