This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Next Generation Sound Systems: The Acoustic Objectives
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 20, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As we move to quantify exactly what we mean by high performance sound systems, we find that there is no single measurement that will consistently equate to subjective preference. This paper 1) provides a brief review of the various acoustic phenomena that affect sound in a vehicle system, 2) discusses the types of measurements that are used to investigate these phenomena, and 3) describes key acoustic phenomena that have been largely unexplored. Many of the types of measurements referenced here have a long running application in the professional sound contracting field. This paper discusses some of the common acoustic measurements that can and are being used in vehicle sound systems.
CitationMeans, R. and Field, D., "Next Generation Sound Systems: The Acoustic Objectives," SAE Technical Paper 861043, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/861043.
- Toole, Floyd E. “Loudspeaker Measurements and Their Relationship to Listener Preferences: Parts 1 & 2” Journal of the Audio Engineering Society April & May 1986
- Schroeder, M.R. “The statistical parameters of the frequency response curves of large rooms,” Geddes Earl R. 1981 4 1954 594 600
- Geddes, E Blind, H “The Localized Sound Power Method” Automobile Audio Systems: Worldwide Developments Publication P-157 Society of Automotive Engineers February 1985
- Clark, David L private communication to D. Field August 1986
- Fourier, J.B.J. Ramirez, Robert W. The FFT; Fundamentals and Concepts Prentice Hall 1985
- Heyser, R.C. “Determination of Loudspeaker Signal Arrival Times: Parts 1,2,&3” JAES October, November, & December 1971
- Kates, J.M. “Loudspeaker Cabinet Reflection Effects” JAES May 1979
- Queen, D. “The Effect of Loudspeaker Radiation Patterns on Stereo Imaging and Clarity” JAES May 1979
- Ballagh, K.O. “Optimum Loudspeaker Placement Near Reflecting Planes” JAES December 1983