This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Advanced Carbon Reactor Subsystem for Carbon Dioxide Reduction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 14, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Reduction of metabolic carbon dioxide is one of the essential steps in physiochemical air revitalization for long-duration manned space missions. Under contract with NASA Johnson Space Center, Hamilton Standard is developing an Advanced Carbon Reactor Subsystem (ACRS) to produce water and dense solid carbon from carbon dioxide and hydrogen. The ACRS essentially consists of a Sabatier Methanation Reactor (SMR) to reduce carbon dioxide with hydrogen to methane and water, a gas-liquid separator to remove product water from the methane, and a Carbon Formation Reactor (CFR) to pyrolyze methane to carbon and hydrogen. The hydrogen is recycled to the SMR, while the produce carbon is periodically removed from the CFR. The SMR is well-developed, while the CFR is under development. In this paper, the fundamentals of the SMR and CFR processes are presented and results of Breadboard CFR testing are reported. A preprototype ACRS, currently being developed for Space Station application, is also described.
CitationNoyes, G., Standard, H., and Cusick, R., "An Advanced Carbon Reactor Subsystem for Carbon Dioxide Reduction," SAE Technical Paper 860995, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860995.
- Manning, M. P. Reid, R. C. “CO 2 , Reduction by the Bosch Process” ASME Paper 75-ENAs-22, 5th Intersociety Conference on Environmental Systems San Francisco 1975
- King, D.D. Homes, R.F. “A Mature Bosch CO 2 Reduction Technology” ASME paper 76-ENAs-14, 5th Intersociety Conference on Environmental Systems San Diego 1976
- Birbara, P.J. Sribnik, F. “Development of an Improved Sabatier Reactor” ASME Paper 79-ENAs-36, 9th Intersociety Conference on Environmental Systems San Francisco 1979
- Kleiner, G. N. Cusick, R. J. “Development of an Advanced CO 2 Reduction Subsystem” ASME Paper 81-ENAs-11, 11th Intersociety Conference on Environmental Systems San Francisco 1981
- Back, M.H. Back, R.A. “Thermal Decomposition and Reactions of Methane” Albright, L.F. B.L. Crynes, Pyrolysis: Theory and Industrial Practice Academic Press 1983
- Noyes, G.P. Cusick, R.J. “Initial Development and Performance Evaluation of a Process for Formation of Dense Carbon by Pyrolysis of Methane” SAE Paper 851342 , 15th Intersociety Conference on Environmental Systems, San Francisco 1985