This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Galfan Coated Steel for Automotive Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Galfan is a new generation zinc-5% aluminum-mischmetal alloy coating for steel offering opportunities for greater fabrication flexibility and upgraded corrosion performance in automotive applications. The formability of Galfan is equivalent to that of electrogalvanized steel, based on laboratory tests and automotive component fabrication. Corrosion resistance of Galfan exceeds that of hot dip and electrogalvanized, including performance in automotive industry tests. Automotive production applications for deep drawn and stamped components in France and Germany are based on the ability to meet dual performance requirements for upgraded formability and corrosion resistance. First U.S. Galfan applications are on 1985 model Ford cars and light trucks for transmission oil cooler line and power steering line tubing.
CitationLynch, R. and Goodwin, F., "Galfan Coated Steel for Automotive Applications," SAE Technical Paper 860658, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860658.
- Celestin A.B. Harrison R.G. Lynch R.F. Goodwin F.E. “Galfan Coated Steel for Upgraded Formability and Corrosion Protection” Metal Bulletin Coatings Conference Chicago, Illinois October 10 1985
- Goodwin F.E. “Galfan - Galvanizing Alloy and Technology” ILZRO Second May 1984
- Goodwin F.E. “An Update on Galfan” Proceedings, 14th International Galvanizing Conference Munich, Germany June 9-14 1985 Zinc Development Association London
- Coursouradis D. Goodwin F.E. Pelerin J. Skenazi P. “Junste Ertwicklingen des Galfan -Beschichtungsystem” Stahl und Eisen 104 1984 12-15 October 1984
- Radtke S.F. Herrschaft D.C. et.al. “Galfan - A New Zinc Alloy for Coating Steel” SAE International Congress Detroit, Michigan February 28 1983
- Donakowski W. Ford Motor Co. private communication August 1982
- Neville R.J. DeSouza K.M. “Undervehicle Corrosion Testing of Zinc and Zinc Alloy Coated Steels” ASM International Conference on Surface Modifications and Coatings Toronto, Canada October 14-16 1985
- Bragard A. DeFourry J. Monfort G. “The Corrosion Resistance of Coated Products after Forming and Welding, Determined by Long Term Exposure Tests Under Vehicles” Report to European Steel and Coal Community October 1985
- Guttman H. Esson D. Belisle S. “Galfan - A New Coating for Automotive Tubing” SAE International Congress Detroit Michigan February 1986
- Schwarz W. Hoesch Stahl AG private communication June 1985
- Viart A. Pelerin J. Coursouradis O. Goodwin F.R. “Galfan - The Zn-Al Coating for Wire” Wire Journal November 1984
- Gedeon S.A. Schock D. LaPointe J. Eagar T.W. “Metal lurgical and Process Variables Affecting the Resistance Spot Weldability of Galvanized Steel Sheet” SAE International Congress February 27 March 2 1984 SAE Paper No. 84113
- Buscarlet E. Ziegler S.A. private communication June 5 1985