This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In-Cylinder Gas Motion of Multivalve Engine-Three Dimensional Numerical Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The characteristic of In-Cylinder gas motion of a multivalve engine is compared with a single intake valve engine, which have been predicted by a three-dimensional numerical simulation and flow visualization. The measured intake valve outlet velocity from helical and straight port was adopted as the boundary conditions.
The computer graphics technique has been utilized to express the predicted numerical results as moving picture like visualized flow.
This flow pattern was compared with the actual flow pattern visualized with metaldehyde as the tracer using the bottom viewed engine, which showed good agreement. The prediction for the multivalve engine showed that the swirl velocity is rapidly reduced by interaction between the flows from the two port, but the turbulence kinetic energy is similar to that in the engines with a single intake valve with helical port.
CitationYamada, T., Inoue, T., Yoshimatsu, A., Hiramatsu, T. et al., "In-Cylinder Gas Motion of Multivalve Engine-Three Dimensional Numerical Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 860465, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860465.
- Inoue T. Nakanishi K. Noguchi H. Iguchi S, Someya T. “The Role of swirl and Squish in Combustion of the S.I. Engine” 1980
- Inoue T. Mathushita S. Nakanishi K. Okumura T. Isogai K. “Effects of Helical Part with Swirl Control Valve on the Combustion and Performance of S.I. Engine” SAE Paper 850046
- Semenov, E.S. “Study of Turbulent Gas Flow in Piston Engines.” Combustion in Turbulent Flow, Israel Program for Scientific Translations 1963
- Watkins, A.P. “Calculation of Flow and Heat Transfer in the Combustion Chamber of Reciprocating Engine” M.Sc, Thesis University of London 1973
- Gosman, A.D. Watkins, A.P. “A Computer Prediction Method for Turbulent Flow and Heat Transfer in Piston/Cylinder assemblies” Proc. Symposium on Turbulent Shear Plow Penn. state Univ. 1977
- Grasso, F.A. Bracco, F.V. “4.1 CONCHAS CODE; Comparison Between Measurement and Analysis of Fluid Motion in Internal Combustion Engines” 1981
- Gosman, A.D. Tsui, Y.Y. Watkins, A.P. “Calculation of Three Dimensional Air Motion in Model Engines” SAE 840229
- Johns, R.J.R. “A Unified Method for Calculating Plows” ASME 1984
- Ohata A. Ishida Y. “Dynamic Inlet Pressure and Volumetric Efficiency of Four Cylinder Engine” SAE 820407
- Spalding, D.B. “A General Computer Program for Fluid-Plow. Heat-Transfer and chemical Reaction Processes” International FEM-Congress 1980
- Brandstatter, W. Johns, R.J.R. Wigley, G. “The Effect of Inlet Port Geometry on In-Cylinder Flow Structure” SAE 850499
- Gosman. A.D. Tsui, Y.Y. Vafidis, C. “Flow in a Model Engine with a Shrouded Valve - A Combined Experimental and Computational study” SAE 850498