This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 24-28, 1986Measured Steady Flow Velocity Distributions Around a Valve/Seat Annulus
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Measurements were made of the three velocity components at the exit plane of the intake valve from an internal combustion engine. The velocities were measured using hot-wire anemometry in a steady-flow rig, and an assessment was made of the effects of flow rate, valve lift, cylinder bore diameter, and inlet configuration on the velocity distribution around the intake valve.
The results showed that over the range of flow rates tested, the normalized velocity profiles are independent of flow rate. At a fixed flow rate, the velocity profiles around the valve periphery are found to be strongly dependent on proximity to the cylinder head. Close to the cylinder head, the profiles are skewed but become more uniform as the distance from the cylinder head increases. In addition, the results indicate that the profiles are sensitive to the valve lift and to the proximity of the cylinder wall to the valve axis. Finally, there are strong indications suggesting that the flow entering the cylinder is fully turbulent.
CitationKhalighi, B., El Tahry, S., and Kuziak, W., "International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 24-28, 1986Measured Steady Flow Velocity Distributions Around a Valve/Seat Annulus," SAE Technical Paper 860462, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860462.
- Uzkan, T. Borgnakke, C. Morel, T. “Characterization of Flow Produced by High Swirl Inlet Port,” SAE Paper 830266 1983
- Brandstatter, W. Johns, R. J. R. Wigley, G. “The Effect of Inlet Port Geometry on In-Cylinder Flow Structure,” SAE Paper 850499 1985
- Fukutani, I. Watanabe, E. “Air Flow Through Poppet Inlet Valves - Analysis of Static and Dynamic Flow Coefficients,” SAE Paper 820154 1982
- Bicen, A. F. Vafidis, C. White-law, J. H. “Steady and Unsteady Air Flow Through an Intake Valve of a Reciprocating Engine,” Proc. ASME Winter Annual Meeting New Orleans, Louisiana December 1984
- Myers, J. P. Alkidas, A. C. “Effect of Combustion-Chamber Surface Temperature on the Exhaust Emission of a Single-Cylinder Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper 780642 1978
- Jorgensen, F. E. “Directional Sensitivity of Wire and Fiber Film Probes, An Experimental Study,” DISA Information 11 31 May 1971
- Catania, A. E. “Air Flow Investigation in the Open Combustion Chamber of a High-Speed, Four-Stroke Diesel Engine,” Proc. ASME New Orleans, Louisiana December 1979
- Haghgooie, M. Kent, J. C. Tabaczynski, R. J. “Intake Valve Cylinder Boundary Flow Characteristics in an Internal Combustion Engine,” Combustion Science Technology 38 49 57 1984
- Humphrey, J. A. C. Taylor, A. M. K. P. Whitelaw, J. H. “Laminar Flow in a Square Duct of Strong Curvature,” J. Fluid Mech. 83 509 1977
- Brandstatter, W. Johns, R. J. R. Wigley, G. “Calculation of the In-Cylinder Flow Produced by a Tangential Inlet Port,” presented at the ASME Winter Annual Meeting Miami Beach, Florida November 1985