This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Review of Ideas for Improving Transient Response in Vehicle Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Turbochargers are rightly blamed for disimproving the transient response of vehicle Diesel engines, but the serious effect of engine rotating inertia is often forgotten. Ultimately, a “no coolant” engine with lightweight ceramic parts may give substantial improvements by increasing exhaust gas temperature and at the same time reducing the inertia of engine and turbocharger components. The response of a turbocharger system can also be improved by adding energy to it, but so far such additions have required complex and costly sub-systems. A novel, cheap system is suggested.
CitationTimoney, S., "A Review of Ideas for Improving Transient Response in Vehicle Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 860454, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860454.
- Nishiguchi F. Sumi Y. Yame K. “Reduction in the polar moment of inertia of an automotive turbocharger,” Conf. on Turbocharging and Turbochargers, I.Mech. E., (London) 1982/83
- Yamaguchi H. et al. “High performance Komatsu K TR 150 turbocharger” S.A.E. paper no. 840019 1984
- Rottenkolber P. et al. “Design fabrication and testing of an experimental alpha silicon turbocharger rotor” S.A.E. paper no. 810523 1981
- Bhinder F.S. “Some unresolved problems in the design of turbochargers,” S.A.E. paper no. 840018 1984
- Antcliffe D.L. Bruffell W.K. “H3 Series - a turbocharger for heavy duty applications” S.A.E. paper no. 840020 1984
- Suzuki T. et al. “Development of Hino turbocharged Diesel engines,” S.A.E. paper no. 840015 1984
- Timoney S.G. “Turbochargers with hydraulic assist,” S.A.E. paper no. 830012 1983
- Holzhausen G.H. Alfano D.L. “Power transfer to improve response of a turbocharged Diesel engine,” Conf. on Turbocharging and Turbochargers, I.Mech.E. (London) 1982/83
- Wilson R. “Detroit Diesels thrust for the 1980s” Diesel Progress (North American) April 1982
- Duflot F. “Experimentation realisce par la SNFC avec un moteur Diesel a tres haute suralimentation” CIMAC 1979
- Ledger J.D. Benson R.S. Furukawa N. “Performance characteristics of a centrifugal compressor with air injection” Proc. of I.Mech.E. (London) 187 1973
- Wallace F.J. Aldis C.A. “Comprex turbocharging versus supercharging of a large truck Diesel engine,” Conf. on Turbocharging and Turbochargers, I.Mech.E., (London) 1982/83
- Gaschler E. et al. “Comparison of a 3-cylinder D.I. Diesel with turbocharger and Comprex supercharger” S.A.E. Paper no. 830143 1983
- Bhinder F.S. “Supercharging compressors - problems and potential of various alternatives” S.A.E. paper no. 840243 1984
- Dawson J.G. Vulliamy N.M.F. “The future of lightweight high speed Diesel engines in the automotive and agricultural fields” Proc. of I.Mech.E. (London) 177 38 1963
- Timoney S.G. “Diesel design for turbocharging” S.A.E. paper no. 952 B 1965
- Kaneno M. Oda I. “Sintered silicon nitride rotor” S.A.E. paper no. 840013 1984