This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Ride Comfort Meter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new portable ride comfort meter was developed, which gives a new index called “VN” (Vibration Number) as an objective measure of ride comfort of passenger cars.
In order to develop this apparatus, the subjective evaluation test on whole-body vibration was carried out using the dual axis vibration table.
This ride comfort meter is composed of a calculator for converting measured vibration inputs to a human body into “VN”, three accelerometers connected to the calculator and weighting filters for adjusting an accelerometer output to vibration feeling. One accelerometer detects a vertical vibration input at seat cushion, another detects a vertical vibration input at feet and the other detects a lateral vibration input at seat back.
The VN index indicated by the apparatus is fixed at zero corresponding to the threshold of seated person to vertical vibration in case when no vibration exists at feet and seat back, and fixed at one hundred corresponding to the short time exposure limit.
The VN index was strongly correlated with the subjective rating of ride comfort.
|Technical Paper||Objective Evaluation of Ride Quality of Road Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Objective Harshness Evaluation|
|Technical Paper||The Evaluation of Seating Comfort by the Objective Measures|
CitationKozawa, Y., Sugimoto, G., and Suzuki, Y., "A New Ride Comfort Meter," SAE Technical Paper 860430, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860430.
- Pradko F., Lee R. A.: Analytical Analysis of Human Vibration, SAE Paper 680091 (1968), pp.346-370.
- Miwa T., Yonekawa Y.: Evaluation Methods for Vibration 1 - 3. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of Japan, Vol.27, No.1 (1971), pp. 11-39.
- ISO: Guide for the Evaluation of Human Exposure to Whole-Body Vibration, No. IS02631-1978(e) (1978).
- Griffin M. J., Whitham E. M., Parsons K. C.: Vibration and Comfort, ERGONOMICS, Vol.25, No.7 (1982), pp.603-630.
- Parsons K. C., Griffin M. J., Whitham E. M.: Vibration and Comfort, ERGONOMICS, Vol.25, No.8 (1982), pp.705-719.
- Parsons K. C., Griffin M. J.: Methods for Predicting Passenger Vibration Discomfort. SAE Paper 831029 (1983), pp.1-19.