This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low Speed Dynamic Similarity Modelling in Internal Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the study of mixture motion in an I.C. engine it is desirable to observe the development of flow structures at reduced speed, in order to facilitate data capture. In this paper the use of high molecular weight gases to achieve dynamic similarity with real engine operating conditions at very much reduced engine speeds is examined. The general constraints required to achieve full similarity are discussed, as are the implications for the choice of gas mixtures. It is argued that acceptable similarity can be obtained using a common fluorocarbon, and gas flow motions can be tracked using conventional video equipment and large (20 μm) microballoon seeds.
CitationMa, T., Davies, M., and Collings, N., "Low Speed Dynamic Similarity Modelling in Internal Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 860239, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860239.
- INOUE T. NAKANISHI K. MATSUSHITA S. OKUMURA T. “Effects of helical port with swirl control valve on the combustion and performance of a spark ignition engine” JSAE Review Nov 1984
- PANSLER T.D. “Laser velocimetry measurements of swirl and squish flows in an engine with a cylindrical bowl” SAE 850124 1985
- LANCASTER D.R. “Effects of engine variables on the turbulence in a spark ignition engine” SAE 760159 1976
- SOLTAU J.P. “Cylinder pressure variations in petrol engines” Proc. I. Mech. E 2 1960-61
- CHAPMAN D.R. “Some possibilities of using gas mixtures other than air in aerodynamic research” NACA TN 3226 1954
- AL-ANI S.K.J. JOHNSON E.A. “Heavy gas mixtures for wind tunnel use” Aero journal June 1983
- EKCHIAN A. HOULT D.P. “Flow visualisation studies in an I.C. engine” SAE 790095
- MASSEY B.S. “Mechanics of fluids” 4th Von Nostrand Reinhold 1979
- SABATIER G. “Viscosity des gaz et donnees critiques” J. Chim. Phys. 48 1951
- WILKE C.R. “A viscosity equation for gas mixtures” J. Chem. Phys. 18 1950
- ACKROYD K. Private communication Technical service manager, ICI Mond division
- BASSET A.B. “Treatise on hydrodynamics” 2 Deighton Bell & Co London 1888
- HJELMFELT A.J. MOCKROS L.F. “Motion of discrete particles in turbulent fluid” Appl. Sci. Res. 16 149 1966
- RIMAI L. Private communication Ford SRL Dearborn Michigan