This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Rate of Heat Release Correlation for Highly Charged Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Though a considerable amount of work has been carried out in the field of diesel engine combustion, it still poses a great challenge to researchers. While the purist's concern is to understand the true mechanism of the complex combustion process, the design engineer requires mathematical models which produce quick solutions. In this respect, the models proposed by previous researchers for determining the rate of heat release have been widely used for low rating diesel engines but their applications to highly pressure charged engines at low compression ratios are limited. A correlation for the rate of heat release for high power output diesels has been developed and tested experimentally for a range of operating conditions. The details of the model, the parameters on which it is based and the empirically deduced expressions are given in the paper.
|Technical Paper||A Preliminary Study on the Effect of Low Temperature Kinetics on Engine Modeling|
|Technical Paper||A Numerical Study on the Burning Velocity of a Spherical, Premixed Methane-Air Flame|
CitationCraddock, J. and Hussain, M., "A Rate of Heat Release Correlation for Highly Charged Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 860083, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860083.
- Lyn, W.T. ‘Calculation of the Effects of Rate of Heat Release on the Shape of Cylinder Pressure Diagram and Cycle Efficiency’ IMechE (A.D) 1 1960-61
- Woschni, N. Anistis, F. ‘Experimental Investigation and Mathematical Presentation of Heat Release in Diesel Engines Dependent upon Engine Operation Conditions’ SAE, 740086 1974
- Watson, N Pilley, A.D. Marzouk, M. A Combustion Correlation for Diesel Engine Simulation' SAE, 800029 1980
- Wiebe, I. ‘Habempirische Formel fur die Verbrennungsgschrwindigkeit’ Verlag der Akademie der Wissenschaften der Vd SSR Moscow 1956
- Osborne, A.G. ‘Study of the Highly Turbo-charged Diesel’ The Hatfield Polytechnic
- Osborne, A.G. Hussain, M. ‘Performance Evaluation of a High BMEP Diesel Engine’ SAE Conference Detroit February 1986
- Osborne, A.G. Hussain, M. ‘Temperature Measurement Techniques in Diesel Engine Combustion Components’ IMechE sponsored Conference at The Hatfield Polytechnic September 1985
- Joyce, R.S. ‘Heat Release in Medium Speed Diesel Engines’ Ricardo Consulting Engineers 1984 U.K.
- Kamimoto, T Chang, Y J. Kobayashi, H. ‘Rate of Heat Release and its Prediction of a Diesel Flame in a Rapid Compression Machine’ SAE, 841076 1984
- Annand, W.J.D. ‘Heat Transfer in the Cylinders of Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engine’ IMechE 177 36 1963
- et al ‘Experimental Correlation between Rate of Injection and Rate of Heat Release in a Diesel Engine’ ASME 1968