This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
AISiGr-A Dream Alloy for IC Engine Cylinders?
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1986 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Cylinder liners made of AlSi alloy graphite composite using UPAL process have worked satisfactorily in a two-stroke petrol engine. Results of standard engine tests and field trials indicate that, compared to standard cast iron liners. AISiGr liners lead to (a) considerable improvement in the power output as a result of reduced frictional losses, (b) appreciable reduction in the specific fuel consumption and wear of the tribo components and (c) marked improvements in the resistance to seizure of the piston-liner assembly. It was also observed that the problem of cold start which is inherent in uncoated AlSi alloy liners did not exist with AISiGr liners. However, this observation could not be quantified in the present investigation.
SEM and ESCA studies on the tribological surface of the liners were carried out and the results also support the above findings.
|Technical Paper||A New Method of Making Cylinder Bores Wear Proof|
|Technical Paper||Durability Investigation of Cast Iron Cap Inserts in an Aluminum Bedplate of a Turbocharged 2.2L ln-Line-4 Gasoline Engine|
CitationKrishnan, B. and Swamy, K., "AISiGr-A Dream Alloy for IC Engine Cylinders?," SAE Technical Paper 860063, 1986, https://doi.org/10.4271/860063.
- Jorstad J.L. The Hyper eutectic aluminium-silicon alloys 390 and A390 Trans. of Metallurgical Society of AIME 242 July 1968 1218
- Murray R. W. Aluminium engine technology: Where is it now? The Iron Age February 2 1967
- Badia F. A. Rohatgi P. K. Dispersion of Graphite particles in aluminium castings through injection of the melt AFS Trans. 77 1969 402
- Badia F. A. Mac Donald D. F. Pearson J. R. Graphitic-Al-a new method of production and some foundry characteristics AFS Trans. 79 1971 265
- Krishnan B. P. Surappa M. K. Rohatgi P. K. The UPAL process: a direct method of preparing cast aluminium alloy-graphite particle composites J. Mat. Sc. 16 1981 1209 1216
- Gorbunov V. G. Parshin V. D. Panin Aluminium-graphite antifriction alloys Russian Casting Production August 1974
- Patton A.M. Foundry trials of graphite-containing aluminium alloys J. Institute of Metals 100 1972 197
- Krishnan B. P. Doctoral thesis Indian Institute of Science Bangalore November 1980
- Pai B.C. Rohatgi P. K. Venkatesh S. Wear resistance of cast graphitic aluminium alloys Wear 30 1974 117
- Krishnan B. P. Raman N. Narayanaswamy K. Rohatgi P. K. Performance of aluminium alloy graphite bearings in a diesel engine Tribology International 16 5 Oct 1983 239
- Krishnan B. P. Raman N. Narayanaswamy K. Rohatgi P.K. Mechanism of improvement in oil spreadability of aluminium alloy-graphite particle composites Tribology International October 1981
- Bruni L. Iguera P. Silgraf -A new silicon-graphite-aluminium alloy for cylinder liners Automotive Engineering February/ March 1978 29
- Krishnan B. P. Shetty H. R. Rohatgi P.K. Centrifugally cast graphic aluminium with segregated graphite particles AFS Trans. 84 1976 73