This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modification of Vehicle Handling Performance by Four-Wheel Steering System
Published January 01, 1985 by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in United States
Annotation ability available
At past ESV conferences, we have reported on a series of studies on how the driver's control performance is affected by vehicle steering response. These studies showed that a four-wheel steering system can reduce the delay in lateral acceleration response to steering action, which may result in better control performance of the driver.
The present report examines the handling performance of an experimental vehicle fitted with a four-wheel steering system under a wider range of operating conditions. The studies were conducted using mathematical models and simulation of the driver-vehicle system, plus road tests.
The findings indicate that the four-wheel steering system may provide better vehicle handling performance than a conventional two-wheel steering system.
A vehicle incorporating this steering system may exhibit improved accident avoidance capabilities.
CitationSano, S., Furukawa, Y., and Shiraishi, S., "Modification of Vehicle Handling Performance by Four-Wheel Steering System," SAE Technical Paper 856039, 1985.
- Sano. S. Furukawa Y. Oguchi Y. “The effect of improved vehicle dynamics on driver control performance,” Proceedings Seventh International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles 1979
- Sano. S. Furukawa Y. Oguchi Y. “Effect of vehicle response characteristics and driver's skill level on task performance and subjective rating,” Proceedings Eighth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles 1980
- Kondo, M. Agimine A. “Driver's sight point and dynamics of the driver-vehicle system related in it,” SAE Paper 680104
- McRuer, D. Weir D.H. “Theory of manual vehicular control,” Ergonomics 12 4 599 633 1969
- Iguchi, M. “Vehicle stability from standpoint of driver's response characteristics” Journal of the J. S. M. E . 62 491
- Abe, M. “Vehicle dynamics and control” (in Japanese) Kyouritsu Pub. 1979