This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on Vehicle Turning Behavior in Acceleration and in Braking
Published November 11, 1985 by IATO in Indonesia
Annotation ability available
Considering that the effects of the change of vehicle speed can be disregarded in a short period of time, the equilibrium equations of the vehicle motion of constant lateral and longitudinal accelerations which describe the vehicle turning behaviors in acceleration and in braking are developed. Solving the equilibrium equations the characteristic lines of the radii of path curvature versus vehicle speed for various longitudinal accelerations and the relations of longitudinal acceleration to lateral one under a certain vehicle speed with fixed steering angle are obtained for the vehicles with various types of drive arrangements. The effects of the locked differential(s), the longitudinal load transfer, the tire vertical stiffness, the suspension compliance steer due to the longitudinal tire force and front to rear brake balance on the vehicle turning behaviors in acceleration and in braking are investigated. A calculated result shows satisfactory agreements with the computer simulation.
|Technical Paper||Effect of the Nonlinearity of the Suspension Roll Stiffness on the Vehicle Handling|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Automotive Plastic Parts Specification|
CitationAbe, M., "A Study on Vehicle Turning Behavior in Acceleration and in Braking," SAE Technical Paper 852184, 1985.
- Uffelmann F. “Automotive Stability and Handling Dynamics in Cornering and Braking Maneuvers” Vehicle System Dynamics 12 1983 203 223
- Bernard J. E. Segel L. Wild R. E. “Tire Shear Force Generation During Combined Steering and Braking Maneuvers” SAE paper 770852
- Hall L. C. “The Influence of Transmission Torques on the Steady State Handling of All Wheel Drive Vehicles. Having One Transverse Differential” I Mech E Conference Publications
- Flegel H. Foldi Th. Wittw L. “Handling Characteristics of Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles” Proc. 8th IAVSD Symposium Aug. 1983
- Rompe K. Grunow D. “Testverfahren fur das Bremsen in der Kurve” ATZ 81 1979 3 93 98
- Lind L. “The Volvo Electronic Traction Control (ETC) System” Int. J. of Vehicle Design 4 1983 2 216 220
- Abe M. “A Theoretical Analysis on Vehicle Cornering Behaviors in Acceleration and in Braking” Proc. 9th IAVSD Simposium June 1985